Advanced search

Does anyone know what kind/how much of benefits I would get if.....

(16 Posts)
whoopsiedaisieangel Sun 27-Jul-08 22:35:24

I work 20 hrs a week

I have 3 DC in full time education

Does it matter how much DH earns even if I didn't live with him and he paid the going rate for the DC?

PS hat is the going rate for partners/DH to pay?

whoopsiedaisieangel Sun 27-Jul-08 22:37:07

PPS that should say: PS what is the going rate for partners/DH to pay?

Obviously I am talking about becoming a single parent!

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jul-08 22:39:29

um, if he is a 'DH', then you are not separated or divorced?

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jul-08 22:42:15

no one is going to know exactly what you will be entitled to because if you are working 20 hours/week that means you may or may not be eligible for working tax credits, dependent on what your salary is and what maintenance you receive.

child tax credit is dependent on your salary and how many hours/week your children require childcare from a registered childcare provider.

whoopsiedaisieangel Sun 27-Jul-08 22:43:32

No I am not at the moment, just a very unhappy person with a very unhappy family just going through the motions. To be honest not sure that I could give DC the life style that they have now if we did split.

I am fortunate enough that DH goes away a lot. otherwise I think we would have all completely lost it!sad He is a nice man but just has lots of sulky/bad moods. Unfortunately its waring a bit thin at the moment.sad

charliecat Sun 27-Jul-08 22:45:03 or .com. Imput your details, without dhs of course.

whoopsiedaisieangel Sun 27-Jul-08 22:45:04

I earn just above the minimum wage, so nothing great, but better than nothing. Plus I work school hrs only so I do not have to worry for childcare.

davidtennantsmistress Sun 27-Jul-08 22:45:29

have a look see on

that will give you a rough idea.

what your X will pay - look on the csa web site - I think it's 15% for 1st child 20% for 2 and 25% for 3, but not sure (so have a look)

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 27-Jul-08 22:45:36

if you know what your earning will be then the tax credits calculator will be able to tell you what tax credits you will be entitled to.

if you are not living with dh as in you are spoerated his earning will not be taken into consideration but any maintenance he pays will be considered. but of you are simply living apart but are still a couple with shared finances his earning will be considered and you will be classed as a couple living together, regardless of the different adresses.

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jul-08 22:46:28

yeah, go to the entitled to site to get an idea, but be aware that the figures you see might indeed be different once you determine what maintenance you'll get from your ex.

madamez Sun 27-Jul-08 22:48:21

If you are working 20 hours a week you would get working tax credit/child tax credit as a single parent. You would probably get housing benefit too (depending on your income). It does depend also on what maintenance your XP would pay (ie whether he will pay any and how much he earns). Is it worth trying Relate or similar with your DH? If he doesn't want to go you can go on your own and get advice on either coping strategies for when you disagree or ways to make a split as amicable as possible.

whoopsiedaisieangel Sun 27-Jul-08 22:52:45

DH will not go, I know that without asking. He is too proud much a fool! The awful thing is I love him to bits. its the old saying - when he is good he is very very good, and when he is bad he is horrid!sad

Trouble is at the moment we have all had enough and we all feel like we are walking on egg shells.

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jul-08 22:57:22

Keep in mind that housing benefit is for renters except in the instance of becoming incapicitated or on income support/JSA for a given number of weeks.

Also that ALL your assets will be taken into consideration when determining your entitlement.

Likewise, if you look on the TCO site, some assets are taken into consideration when determining WTC/CTC amounts.

whoopsiedaisieangel Wed 30-Jul-08 23:33:43

After the way DH has behaved this evening, think I will have to take a step further!sad

Pinkchampagne Wed 30-Jul-08 23:41:51

I work 20 hours a week as a TA, so not the greatest wage, and I get almost my wages again in working tax credits. I only have the two children & ex H pays me 300 a month, which was agreed during mediation.
I didn't have a clue what I would be entitled to or how I would manage, before we separated. I saw a solicitor & also went to the CAB.

I actually manage just fine. I might not have as big a house, but am much happier now I am no longer walking on eggshells.

vixma Wed 30-Jul-08 23:53:10

I am also a TA, I work 15 hours, but work another 2 hours childminding. I have been told by HMS if I work 16 hours I am able to get more help. However, I work the other 2 not contracted, even though they are every week. Can I still claim?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: