Advanced search

recently single......! What can I claim?

(3 Posts)
lourobert Thu 24-Jul-08 11:46:40

Just wondered if I should be claiming anything extra really. I currently work 30 hours a week and have a severely disabled child.

I know you can get single person reduction on council tax but is thee anything else.

I dont really have a clue about benefits and stuff.


charlotte121 Thu 24-Jul-08 14:44:49

Your best bet is to arrange an appointment at your local job centre or even just call them they will be able to tell you what your entitled to.
I think you might be entitled to a carers alowance and your child tax credits might increase too. Im not very hot on what your entitled to as im not claiming everything i should be...
Good luck coping alone. If you need a chat come along and have a moan... i frequently do it. x

MumtoPhoebeboo Thu 24-Jul-08 14:45:18


I'm assuming you've let the tax credit people know that you're now a lone parent? Depending on your income and rent/mortgage, you might want to look into whether you're eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit? I still receive some even though I'm working 40 hours per week in a fairly well paid job (simply because cost of renting in London is ridiculously high!)

I don't know much about Carers' Allowance or other things you could be entitled to.

Hope this might help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: