Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you go out alone ??

(92 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:31:04

I mean of an evening to the pictures, or a bar or anything, completely alone, no friends, date etc.

Just wondered if anyone did.

lou33 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:32:21

i do when i go to thailand, as i go alone, but usually i am with mates here

though of course in the day i am bobbing in and out alone

pictures on my own sounds good actually, i might see what's on

Mutt Fri 18-Jul-08 18:33:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:33:31

Would you go out for a drink on your own though Lou, here I mean ??

ChasingSquirrels Fri 18-Jul-08 18:33:56

I haven't, in fact I think I have only done this a handful of times in my life - either meals while away for work, and the cinema once when I flew down to Cairns for a course.

lou33 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:34:44

i have sat in bars on my own, not sure i would do a whole evening like that though

though the odds are you would end up talking to someone

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:34:45

I have never been in a pub alone, or the cinema, not even a coffee shop.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:35:22

I would feel way to vunerable to go into a bar and sit and have a drink on my own. Nevermind feeling a right sad git for being alone in the first place.

babyOcho Fri 18-Jul-08 18:35:30

Before DD I used to go out alone all the time but not really in the evening, but during the day for lunch, pictures, museums.

When away on business I used to always go out alone and I've been away on holiday alone a few times as well which meant I went out alone at night. I quite like my own company and find dining out alone really fun.

lou33 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:35:50

why not get a paper and stop in a coffee shop one day when you are out, lots of people do that

see how it feels

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:37:05

I could do Lou, but tbh in the daytime I don't mind being on my own so much as I like to mooch around the shops.

I have considered going to the pictures alone, but think I just feel so stupid.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 18-Jul-08 18:37:17

I would go to the pictures.
I wouldn't go to a pub, but then I have no real desire to spend time in pubs in company, never mind on my own.
I wouldn't go to a restaurant alone for fun, but would out of necessity.

zippitippitoes Fri 18-Jul-08 18:38:34

i go to the pictures

i went to my climbing class on my own

and to the climbing club but have only been once i found that hard

i did go out to the pub on my own and had two large glasses of wine because my date stood me up..first glass was the benefit of the doubt and the second was well i am just going to have it and not care

i go to the gym and swimming on my own

i would go to the theatre

i go to art exhibitions

go to london on my own

and i walk to warwick and back in the evenings and sometimes have a drink in the pub when i get there...not alcoholic tho and only max 40 minutes

Mutt Fri 18-Jul-08 18:39:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou33 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:39:38

going to the pictures i would consider fairly easy alone, as once you are sat noone is talking to anyone, just watching the film

tbh i doubt anyone would even think twice seeing someone on their own, you are just another person waiting for a film to start

objectivity Fri 18-Jul-08 18:40:20

Yes,all the time!

I have always gone out alone to local pub,less often do eating or cinema alone. Best to drink in a 'local' pub where you can join in with chat rather than stick out like a lonely sore thumb perhaps.

I love the convos and people you meet that you just don't if with others.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:40:49

I did seriously consider joinging a gym or at least an exercise class, but when I looked into it I couldn't afford it.

I very nearly went to the pics on my own tonight but chickened out.

zippitippitoes Fri 18-Jul-08 18:42:42

the council gym here is 23 a month so not too bad

cinema is easy on your own

and iyt gives you something to talk about if you have been to a film when it comes out

lou33 Fri 18-Jul-08 18:43:01

i used to go down my local pub alone a lot, til i barred myself, on account of the landlord being a tosser

zippitippitoes Fri 18-Jul-08 18:43:57

there are walk in no book circuit training classes at the council leisure centre here for 3.65 a class which is good value

now i have started climbing i am going to go to the climbing wall

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:45:54

I can't quite get to grips with the fact that I am in a situation where I need to go on my own though tbh.

How I got like this I will never know.

On a positive note, I got quizzed about my age when buying wine yesterday grin. The bloke said that if they think the person is under 21 they are supposed to ask for id. I laughed and said well I am definatly older than 21, anxd he said 'yeah ok, i'll let you off'.

I go in that shop practically every day with my 3 dc.

humanbean Fri 18-Jul-08 18:45:58

I used to, a lot. When I lived in London. Went to All Bar One in Nottinghill with papers and fags (the good old days!), all the time...and other pubs...like the Dove in Chiswick and a few others along the Mall there...decent pubs iykwim. Would drink heaps of wine/have a few pints. Enjoy myself. Honest! Not really in the evenings though.

Would I now? Yes if I could find a babysitter and if I lived somewhere more anonymous.

I did a pub crawl alone a few times (sounds like I don't have mates. I do but worked shifts back then and they weren't usually available for pub crawls on my days off!). Had a bloody good time!

I also holidayed alone - a week in Athens, two weeks by a lake in Italy. I even emigrated to Australia totally alone! I have met lots of wonderful people and even made some close friends going it alone. It's not so bad. So long as you have a bit of dutch courage inside you and a big smile and don't get into convo with anyone who seems slightly dodgy.

Am going to have to start doing things alone again big time soon... sad
Need to move somewhere anonymous again. hmm

Do it! If it's crap so what? It can't be more crap than staying in and wishing you were out....start small...go to a pub that's not packed or a party-pub, have half a cider and keep pretending you are texting/waiting for a text. People will ignore you quickly and you can sit and enjoy-ish. Get the feeling for it.

It's easier if you live in a city though and you can go drinking around your "manor".

Why do you ask? (after all that rambling...no wonder I went out alone. No bugger could put up with me. ha ha )

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:46:31

I wanted to do aqua tone but local pool is still shut.

citylover Fri 18-Jul-08 18:47:33

I actually prefer to go to the pictures, exhibitions, shopping alone because I can get totally absorbed in the film in fact I have been to see Mama Mia today - enjoyed that very much. Pierce Brosnan is hot and the theme of the film I found heartening.

Coffee shops wouldn't think twice.

Pubs and bars hmm bit more doubtful. There is a pub near mine on a boat which I am really keen to go to but feel a bit odd going by myself. However would go to pub with an outside bit and have been in a wine bar by myself with book or magazine.

IllegallyBrunette Fri 18-Jul-08 18:47:56

Just asking humanbean, because currently I sit here every Friday doing sod all lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now