Talk

Advanced search

Job opportunity

(4 Posts)
Sunflowerr2 Mon 02-Nov-20 17:31:32

My current job role involves working 23 hours a week to cut a long story short I would like a change and a chance to progress onto something a bit higher career wise. I currently work 2 nights a week (NHS).

I have applied for an in training post for a Pharmacy service assistant hours wise is full time. But shift patterns between 11.30-20.00, 8am-4pm and 9am-6pm.
I have no family support regarding getting to work so I would request at my interview in a few weeks if I could possibly work 4 days a week preferably 9am-4pm. I could commit to a weekend shift once every 4 weeks.

Would you make the leap as a single parent?
Interested to hear other mums experiences of juggling working approx 25/30hrs a week.

OP’s posts: |
growingweeble Wed 16-Dec-20 22:23:25

I currently work 30 hours a week but the commute is super easy (even more so at the moment as I’m wfh). My kids are 8 and 10 so at an easier age than a few years ago. Their Dad died so there isn’t another parent around to help, but I have my parents nearby for emergencies but not regular help.
This has been manageable and more than that has played a really important role in picking me up when I’m low.
But, I’m about to start a much more senior and challenging job. The hours will on paper be about the same but I am really worried about whether I will cope with the change in responsibility. Working part time is really hard anyway but have a big job part time when also a single parent is risky. I am excited about my new job but very aware it may well be too much. If it is, then I hope I can find something else less stressful.
In short, I think it depends on how easy going your kids are, their age etc, and how much your job will take out of you vs replenish you.
I would vote go for it if you think you possibly can

OhamIreally Sat 19-Dec-20 09:50:24

If the job requires shifts and you are only able to work core hours I'm not sure it's the job for you. It would be impossible I think for you to work shifts if you have no family support.
I've held down a career (32 hours per week) using just formal childcare and it's pretty gruelling and relentless. The only way round it for you could be an au pair but there's a lot to weigh up with that.

MotherExtraordinaire Sat 19-Dec-20 11:10:46

Sunflowerr2

My current job role involves working 23 hours a week to cut a long story short I would like a change and a chance to progress onto something a bit higher career wise. I currently work 2 nights a week (NHS).

I have applied for an in training post for a Pharmacy service assistant hours wise is full time. But shift patterns between 11.30-20.00, 8am-4pm and 9am-6pm.
I have no family support regarding getting to work so I would request at my interview in a few weeks if I could possibly work 4 days a week preferably 9am-4pm. I could commit to a weekend shift once every 4 weeks.

Would you make the leap as a single parent?
Interested to hear other mums experiences of juggling working approx 25/30hrs a week.

Personally, where they've quite clearly advertised the shifts they need to be covered, requesting set shifts to me sounds as though it wouldn't meet the business needs a d actually disadvantage the other employees.

To me, having interviewed many applicants, this would mean that even if a top class applicant applied they'd not be offered the role.

I wouldn't waste your time, unless you speak directly with the advertiser and they genuinely say they could facilitate it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in