Advanced search

Where do I start!!! HEEEELLLLPPP!!

(5 Posts)
MeImAllSmiles Mon 01-Oct-07 20:23:37

Please bear with me on this one. I am seriously considering leaving h for many many varied reasons but of course I am scared. I have two children of my own and he has five children although only three live with us full time. I don't have a job, live in a very small town and have no idea how I would house, feed and live reasonably well with my children (their father pays £400/month and I would not expect any financial help from h).

Please help me I have no idea what to do or how to go about it.

Skribble Mon 01-Oct-07 22:00:42

If you don't work but have kids you can claim income support, but they count any maintainence payments and I thinkthey have to go through CSA.

I think also you get a rebate of the full amount of council tax and housing benefit.

You also get stuff like fee school meals, prescriptions and dental treatment.

I have been investigating this myself but I work part-time. I have been all around the houses and recon its best to go straight to advisor for Income support or tax credits as they seem to know the most and are willing to look at different options. I was dissapointed with Citizens advice but this will depend how much the voluteer dealing with you knows themselves.

MeImAllSmiles Tue 02-Oct-07 08:10:57

Thanks skribble. Was thinking of the CAB as I haven't a clue what to do. This is terrifying.

Tinkerbel5 Tue 02-Oct-07 14:17:05

MIAS if you are definate that you want to leave then you might want to start looking for rental properties in your area, but you will need to have a credit check done, if you arent already on the council house list then go and do that, you wont get a property straight away but at least you could end up with one in the fute. If you dont work you can claim Income Support and Lone Parent Child Tax Credit, you can also claim Housing and Council Tax Benefit, it might be worthwile going down to your local council and picking the forms up in advance so they are there when you need them, if you can manage to put money aside then start doing it now because some benefits can take from 4-8 weeks to come through.

MeImAllSmiles Tue 02-Oct-07 16:23:34

Thank you, advice much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: