Advanced search


(13 Posts)
34alana Sat 14-Mar-20 12:10:40

If I moved from Scotland to England and then my child's absent father who is from Scotland took it to court at any point which court would hearings be in? as I wouldn't be able to travel back and forth all the time with a child?. He's throwing his weight around because I told him we were moving after being absent for 3 years. Only told him because morally I like to do the right thing.

OP’s posts: |
kitk Sat 14-Mar-20 12:31:14

Court hearings would be in the place that the child lives, but he could get a prohibited steps order in Scotland to stop you moving to England so you prob need legal advice ASAP

midnightstar66 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:36:38

It would be wherever the child lives but if he acted quickly they may still class the child's home as being in Scotland

midnightstar66 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:39:35

And as pp says prohibitive steps order is a possibility

34alana Sat 14-Mar-20 12:43:08

He doesn't have parental responsibility, would that make a difference?

OP’s posts: |
34alana Sat 14-Mar-20 12:51:35

In being able to get a PSO or delay the process

OP’s posts: |
maybelle4 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:39:31

Ideally you shouldn’t have told him until after you’ve moved because now he can say he asked you not to and you ignored so you’re undermining a relationship between his child and him. I’d get legal advice ASAP op

midnightstar66 Sun 15-Mar-20 08:39:07

If he doesn't have Pr he could still delay the process while he attempts to get it, yes. Is he likely to do that though? Is he entitled to legal aid?

34alana Sun 15-Mar-20 10:02:53

We were moving over this weekend, made my final decision yesterday and that's us moved today . don't know how that will go if he does proceed with trying to. I would assume he would have to travel to do it in an English court if he even bothers. He hasn't in 3 years so .. I have however told him I am open to him having contact so it's not like I'm stopping him having a relationship with her.

OP’s posts: |
AnotherMurkyDay Sun 15-Mar-20 10:08:13

He would have to apply for parental responsibility first. The court would be the nearest to the child. That could be one hearing or take years depending if there are reasons he shouldn't have PR (domestic violence, drug abuse, that kind of thing). Once/if granted he could then apply for contact.

34alana Sun 15-Mar-20 13:10:54


OP’s posts: |
34alana Sun 15-Mar-20 18:22:04

Bumping this for more responses or anyone who has been through similar smile

OP’s posts: |
Worthingmumofone Fri 08-May-20 18:50:05

Just be prepared that if you do end up in court your probably going to have to meet him half way ie share the journey so your child can have access ie you do drop off one way and he does one way especially as you moved.

I moved out of london for financial reasons and was court order to do pick or drop off to facilitate access eow was a pain but done it thru gritted teeth.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in