Advanced search

Working/Child Tax Credits Help Please!!

(9 Posts)
saltcod Thu 30-Aug-07 23:54:19

Trying to fill in the mammoth claim form & doing the bit on my income. In the notes it says you can "deduct any expenses which arose wholly, exclusively & necessarily in the course of your work (as well as travelling expenses necessarily incurred in the performance of your duties)"

Does this mean I can deduct my petrol costs for my commute to work?

Thanks in advance!

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 30-Aug-07 23:55:19


NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 30-Aug-07 23:56:27

I think

Otherwise we would have been quids in with DHs Mahooooosive commute

Twinklemegan Fri 31-Aug-07 00:01:01

I presume they mean any expenses that would be tax deductable. That would mean, for example, that you could deduct expenses incurred in travelling to a temporary workplace (complicated rules about what is classed as "temporary" but your employers would presumably have reimbursed you in any case so it wouldn't apply). Travel expenses to your normal place of work are not tax deductable, so you would presumably not be able to deduct these from your income for tax credit purposes. Certainly I never have.

SlightlyMadShockwave Fri 31-Aug-07 00:02:12

It would be expenses that you claimed back from employer (or put on your self assessment form if Self Employed).

Twinklemegan Fri 31-Aug-07 00:03:45

SMS explained it so much better.

SlightlyMadShockwave Fri 31-Aug-07 00:04:38

Makes a change wink

saltcod Fri 31-Aug-07 00:24:31

oh well, that's a shame then! Thanks everyone

Tinkerbel5 Fri 31-Aug-07 10:12:54

maintenance isnt caluculated, but everything else that brings in an income is and has to be declared, its a mine field isnt it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: