Talk

Advanced search

Why is everything so difficult when you're by yourself?

(14 Posts)
zmandaz Tue 21-Aug-07 19:59:32

Started off the day going into town to get some birthday presents for DD. She grisled all the way around the shops. Then went to the supermarket and needed to change DD's nappy. Nothing too difficult there until I decide I need the loo too. Trying to juggle DD, a change bag, my handbag and go to the loo without dropping any of them on the disgusting floor was not easy! DD then proceeded to grizzle all the way around the supermarket. Then, when in the Post Office had some old woman looking down her nose at DD (who was still grizzling and had her dummy to try and placate her) and said 'is that thing attached to him?'. I said 'HER dummy is attached to HER, yes' (I mean, it really isn't that hard to tell that DD is a girl based on the fact that she has a pink pushchair, flowers on her coat and a fluffy pink blanket!) and so what if I try to keep my sanity by giving her a dummy for a bit. I just glared at her!

I wish I could be one of those organized, calm, glowing Mothers. Ah well!

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:05:02

i know how your feel, i have two dd's and they can play up terribly sometimes! i feel that as im a "young mum" and i do only look around 16 a lot of people give me a funny look as i walk around with my daughters! it does annoy me how people look down at you for bein or at least looking a lot younger than you actually are and when your child plays up look at you in discust as if to say " can't you shut that child up!" i just tend to ignore the comments now.

FioFio Tue 21-Aug-07 20:06:17

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Tue 21-Aug-07 20:09:30

I take my hat off to anyone that is a lone parent.

My dh is away with work this week and the chores are never ending. Tbh I don't know how you manage to keep on top of everything whilst looking after a child by yourself.

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:16:12

it is hard work and if you have more than one child like me it can be harder! my 2 are usually quite good although my youngest is very spiteful and i dont know how to deal with it, time out doesnt work she doesnt have a favourite toy to take away. she isnt spiteful to me just other children and especially her sister! i find it hard to get the house work done in one go unless i dont have my children and even then i dont end up doing it all as im so knackered!

zmandaz Tue 21-Aug-07 20:23:59

My DD is teething at the moment. It's not as if I can reason with her or reassure her. I agree, it's hard when you don't have a break or someone to share in the work load. I'm hoping to get my own place and start working part time next year so goodness know how I'll cope! The worst part is I'm dieting so I can't even rely on chocolate to give me a boost.

whatsgoingonnow Tue 21-Aug-07 20:32:37

i have 2 who fight a lot, plus i work as a nanny doing 11hr days, and take both my kids with me so i am working plus looking after them, plus am a single parent.
its fecking hard work and there isnt a day that goes by where i dont have a cry.

boysandmoreboys Tue 21-Aug-07 20:36:12

had 5 hour train journey with 3DS (5,3 and 5 months) and felt like weeping at the end. am awe-inspired by you single hero mums. I find the odd week hard enough. you deserve medals.

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:36:25

wow whatsgoingon you seem to have a lot to deal with! im not working at the moment but i am going to college again in sept. im awaiting my english gcse result on thursday! i had to re take as i didnt get a good enough grade back in school. i want to be a primary school teacher. mainly as it works around my children! zmandaz i am also trying to diet and failing miserably! i get really cranky when there is no junk food 2 nibble at throughout the day!

zmandaz Tue 21-Aug-07 20:40:21

Shorti - I'm doing the Slimming World diet and am really enjoying it. I have lost just over 2 stone since the end of May. I'm really keen to keep it going as I do have a lot to loose but that means I have to be strict with myself. I do still have the odd bit of chocolate but can't help feeling guilty. Oh for the days when a whacking great pizza and a bucket of Ben & Jerry's!

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:43:38

haha definately! i havent had dinner yet as i want something quick and easy yet i do not have anything that takes less than 30mins to cook! i dont have much to lose but im at the top end of my weight for my height and i dnt feel comfortable with the way i look!

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:44:46

i was doing the weight watchers but found i could not afford to pay the £5 a week to go. i know £5 isnt much but it all mounts up over time!

zmandaz Tue 21-Aug-07 20:52:14

Yeah, I know, it is expensive but I guess I'm not buying so much junk food or takeaways as I used to. It'll be worth it in the long term as I've been in a vicious cycle with my weight for so long - comfort eating because of stress then getting stressed at my weight. I decided that as I was 30 this year, it would be my year of change - divorce finalized, lose weight, get trained up so I can work, try and get rid of some of my debts that sort of thing. Plus, I can't diet by myself as I have very little will power!

shorti Tue 21-Aug-07 20:56:37

well its good to hear that youre not letting things get you down any more! good luck im sure everything will go brilliantly! as for me and willpower lol i dont have any either but i will try and try again until i succeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now