Advanced search

Council housing/domestic violence

(30 Posts)
Mimi2018 Mon 06-May-19 10:44:38


Please could I get advice from anyone who has either gone through this or has knowledge of this..

I am a single parent now, mother of 11month baby. Left father due to domestic violence. I have returned back to my mothers council home where I am registered.

My mother's home and my ex partners home is one minute apart.

Due to the close proximity and the fear of bumping into him and his family would the council provide me with a place of my own with my baby as a priority? And how do I go about doing this?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Starlight456 Mon 06-May-19 10:55:29

I applied for housing and was able to state a area I didn't want to live in due to my abusive EX.

You would need to speak to your housing dept.

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 11:04:49

You would probably be able to get onto the list as anyone can, you may also gain a higher priority status due to fear of violence. Unfortunately though many areas have massive waiting lists even if you're high priority.

Have you reported the abuse to police/are you receiving police support? It might be that something along the lines of a no contact order would be the most appropriate thing. That would mean he can't approach you in public.

HennyPennyHorror Mon 06-May-19 11:25:11

It's doubtful OP. You're have a home as far as they're concerned. Priority is given to people who are literally on the streets or on the verge of that.

But everything will depend on which county you're in and how rare council housing is.

Mimi2018 Mon 06-May-19 12:55:26

The thing is the house I'm living in is crowded and I'm not getting along with family member so I could be on the verge to homelessness with my daughter and adding on to that is my abusive ex living one min away.. surely taking all this into account they must house me ASAP?

OP’s posts: |
GreenTulips Mon 06-May-19 13:00:41

No one can answer that because different councils have different lists stock and need

Look on the council website and apply - you won’t get anywhere until you take the first step

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 13:01:13

No not necessarily as you are not homeless. You may be "at risk of homelessness". Overcrowded has specific definitions and isn't based on comfort - how many people are living where you are and how many bedrooms, including reception rooms, are there?

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 13:01:55

And which country of the UK are you in?

InTheHeatofLisbon Mon 06-May-19 13:02:02

My friend had a priority move due to DV, women's Aid helped her in speaking to the council and explaining the situation. Is that something you'd consider? It might be worth asking.

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 13:03:18

Assuming England:

bamboofibre Mon 06-May-19 13:04:18

Depends on where you are, in councils where there is little to no housing stock, you won't be a priority OR they'll offer a B&B wherever they like and then a private let who will take a tenant on LHA wherever they can find one.

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 13:07:00

Meant to add this -

Littleduckeggblue Mon 06-May-19 13:09:28

It depends where in the country you are. I applied for a council house a few years ago. I had a roof over my head as I was private renting, had no children. I got a house within 4 days. It really just depends.

paintwater Mon 06-May-19 13:09:31

I’m afraid I was on the council waiting list, living with my parents in an overcrowded house, but was on the waiting list for 2 years before I was offered anything which I was literally only offered because it was such a grim little flat in a really rough area that everyone else had turned it down (by this time I’d met my now DP anyway so we decided to leave it a bit longer then privately rent together)

My brother however was living with his wifes mum (with his child and pregnant wife) they technically weren’t overcrowded but she wrote a letter for them saying they could only live there for a certain amount of time so council housed them as they would have become homeless otherwise. Would your mum write a letter for you to give the council with your application saying she’ll only house you for a certain timescale?

bamboofibre Mon 06-May-19 13:10:29

The old 'write a letter' usually doesn't work anymore.

paintwater Mon 06-May-19 13:12:33

bamboofibre it was only 2.5 years ago that my brother’s family got offered a house after his wife’s mum wrote a letter for them saying they couldn’t live with her for much longer, but it does depend on things like the area and what’s available at the time that is suitable. They got lucky and got a really beautiful 2 bed house with a decent sized garden but that just happened to be what was available at the time that was offered to them

HennyPennyHorror Mon 06-May-19 14:01:21

Paint that won't work these days. The council wants you literally at their office, with your packed bags and no roof over your head.

A letter from your Mum is an old trick. Many people tried it over the years and I'm sure in the past when stock wasn't so low, it worked. But there's barely any housing there any longer.

Mimi2018 Mon 06-May-19 14:03:40

England, London, borough of Lambeth


OP’s posts: |
Mimi2018 Mon 06-May-19 14:04:40

Yes that's what I hear you have to literally be at the council with baby in hand and bags packed!!!

OP’s posts: |
Mimi2018 Mon 06-May-19 14:05:31

Yes - I think that's a good idea to go to women's aid to help me perhaps

OP’s posts: |
bamboofibre Mon 06-May-19 14:08:47

London, your chances of being any sort of priority for any council housing are very slim indeed. They might offer a B&B somewhere, wherever they fit or have a place for however long and then perhaps a private let, again, wherever they can find someone to take a LHA tenant (and it won't be in London, probably).

NoBaggyPants Mon 06-May-19 14:10:01

How far are you willing to move mimi? Lambeth are one of the councils known for placing people out of area, even as far away as Birmingham.

BertieBotts Mon 06-May-19 14:13:41

Yeah in London, you've got no chance, sorry.

There are people still stuck living with their abusers sad who would be higher on the list. If anything you might get a room in a B&B which would probably be more cramped than where you are now. B&Bs are a nightmare with young children as you don't have access to a fridge so you end up spending a fortune on food and eating total crap because it has to be long life.

Look into the injunction idea, and start saving up for a deposit. Would your mum be up for exchanging her house for somewhere bigger? That might be an idea if she is, if there's anyone who needs to downsize due to bedroom tax.

AntiHop Mon 06-May-19 14:17:36

Under some circumstances relating to domestic violence you can be rehoused even if you're housed currently. Please speak to women's aid or your local idva service. Good luck.

freetone Mon 06-May-19 14:19:59

Good luck OP! My council were horrendous when I suffered DV. Didn’t need a council house but they threatened court action over £7 missed council tax after I’d just disclosed my abuse. They aren’t very sympathetic. CAB is your best bet and they will help you get a home. They should speak to the council for you so you don’t have to deal with themflowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in