Talk

Advanced search

Where do I start?! (Setting up home, claiming help, back to work or not...arghh!)

(1 Post)
AuntMarch Sat 23-Mar-19 15:16:05

Hi,

I'm just asking for a bit of advice really on how I go about getting settled into my new life as single mum.

I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant.
I work term time only, 37 hours a week, bringing home 1500 a month (it's averaged out over 12 equally paid months regardless of the holidays)

At the moment following the split from the father, I am at my mum's and am invited to stay here for maternity leave. I won't be able to claim anything while living here with no official housing costs (despite paying her rent) to be able to afford agent fees and deposits, although I do have a couple of grand saved since being here.

I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm better off trying to get somewhere sooner and hoping that I can get enough help to make it work on SMP for a while. Or do I wait til back at work? How easy is it to pass relevant credit checks with lettings agents on your own on maternity pay? Can landlords refuse you because there's a baby?
Can anyone get help with childcare? (Can I even afford to go back to work?!)

Basically looking for stories of how others have managed to get on their own two feet!

Thanks

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in