Advanced search

Child support question

(9 Posts)
user1497607114 Fri 28-Dec-18 19:14:34

Split from husband 3 years ago. Years ago he had a good job but I ended up supporting him for a long time and had to buy him out of the house. Also paid for most of the divorce etc. He was impossible to live with so generally I’m happier without him. He works in a minimum paid job (no idea why when he used to earn £70k) but Hasn’t given me any maintenance for a year. No birthday gifts or Christmas gifts for the children and he has never had the children overnight. I’m wondering about putting a claim into the CS service as according to their calculatior he should be paying me £61 a week. It doesn’t ask for my income - will that be taken into account? I earn an ok salary but still struggle with no support. Any thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
Someday2019 Fri 28-Dec-18 19:19:16

Yes, contact csa. His child maintenance will not interfere with your income. I’m unsure of how much it will be per week that would depend on his income. However csa will make up the rest of the payment if he isn’t financially able enough to. I highly doubt that he hasn’t got enough though even with a full time low income wage.

Youbrokemytwatometer Fri 28-Dec-18 19:26:20

Absolutely! Why wouldn't you? Wonder now more. That's over £3k a year owed to your children even if you didn't "need" it and put it away for their future.

He sounds a right peach!

Starlight456 Fri 28-Dec-18 20:34:05

Yes he has responsibilities . Why wouldn’t you

user1497607114 Fri 28-Dec-18 20:43:23

Thanks. I’ll pursue it. I haven’t so far as I’ve felt sorry for him. I’m way too much of a soft touch.

OP’s posts: |
QwertyLou Sun 30-Dec-18 16:23:52

Yes do it for sure. Don’t even hesitate. I only wish I could! Foolishly though, I did not get my child’s father to sign the birth certificate following the birth.. so it’s not as straightforward for me.

Starlight456 Sun 30-Dec-18 16:30:08

Qwerty Lou .

This has no bearing if he disputes he is father he needs a dna teat which he will have to pay for if proven he is the dad.

Name on birth certificate gives automatic pr

Twinkle2019 Sun 30-Dec-18 16:35:38

Definitely apply through child maintenance service. He will have the opportunity to pay you directly to your bank account and if he does not comply there are some enforcement methods which can be used, such as a deductions of earnings order where the money gets taken out of his wage (with a 20% fee for him and a 4% fee for you)

Graphista Sun 30-Dec-18 19:16:10

Be prepared to find out he's earning much more than he claims!

Yes contact cms ASAP and put a claim in.

Your income will not be taken into account. His (actual) taxable income is used to calculate what he should be paying.

Your (plural) child is BOTH your responsibility.

One thing - they don't backdate you'll only get maintenance awarded from date you start claim.

"However csa will make up the rest of the payment if he isn’t financially able enough to" no they don't! What utter rubbish!

But if he resists you need to be persistent with cms - squeaky wheel gets the oil with these people!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in