Advanced search

Child Maintenance continuing once 'child' goes to university

(46 Posts)
DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:02:19

Just wanted to ask others opinions or understanding.

My DP has 2 DC with his ex. He has always paid child maintenance every month without fail even though he hasn't been allowed to see the children. The oldest child is due to start university next September.

My question is ... should he still be required to pay child maintenance for both children after next year?


OP’s posts: |
pumpkinpie01 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:04:35

I would say he needs to give that maintenance direct to the child.

Berniethefastestmilkwoman Fri 16-Nov-18 12:08:30

Yes, if he had stayed with his family and looked after his children himself he would still be supporting them at university.

Who hasn't 'allowed' him to see his own children?

mummmy2017 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:14:22

Actually the child. NO longer lives at home and gets a grant for their needs.
Tell the mother it is stopping, what is she going to do.... Nothing as he never sees the children.

Screaminginsidemeagain Fri 16-Nov-18 12:17:34

Legally no. Child maintenance ends once the child leaves full time education.
So University Not a legal requirement
College could be still classes as full time and then payments go until 21.
Working - no

Morally it’s trickier. Maybe put some money in an isa each month and then if the ever decide now they are an adult to find out what went on etc he can say I’ve been saving for you...

DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:18:03

He hasn't seen the children due to them 'not wanting to see him', he has been through court several times to try to get access.

OP’s posts: |
DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:20:25

The mother has asked for contribution to the university costs - saying if he doesn't pay 'out of court' she will make a Schedule 1 application

OP’s posts: |
DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:22:24

Screaminginsidemeagain - he has always put money into a savings account for both children

OP’s posts: |
BobLemon Fri 16-Nov-18 12:22:36

Is the CM part of a financial order, an informal agreement, or through the CMS?

ArfArfBarf Fri 16-Nov-18 12:22:39

Most parents do provide money towards their children’s cost at University.

hellsbells99 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:23:24

Mummy2017 - they don’t get a grant

DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:28:18

Child Maintenance is through the CMS

OP’s posts: |
TakeMeToKernow Fri 16-Nov-18 12:32:57

Well, the CMS will end when they stop full time education up to A-Level or equivalent - so defo not university.

My DP plans that when his obligation to pay his ExW ends/they turn 18, he’ll begin giving the amount he would have been paying directly to the DCs.

TakeMeToKernow Fri 16-Nov-18 12:34:04

Is the oldest still finishing A Levels? Is that the current situation?

Youseethethingis Fri 16-Nov-18 12:49:54

Why should he automatically pay for adult offspring who now have the autonomy to get in touch with him directly, should they wish too? Morally or otherwise? confused

MissMalice Fri 16-Nov-18 12:52:47

I don’t think she can make a S1 application now child is an adult. Child would have to make the application. They aren’t common. Does your DH have a very high income?

Morally - I think it’s a personal decision really. I wasn’t supported by my parents and I’d expect my children to get a job if they needed more than the uni loan paid out, same as I had to.

spottedduck Fri 16-Nov-18 13:17:51

If they don't want to see him as adults then they won't want his money will they?

DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 14:47:46

The oldest is currently doing A Levels and is planning to go to university next September

OP’s posts: |
DEK64 Fri 16-Nov-18 14:49:28

MissMalice .. no DP does not have a very high income.

OP’s posts: |
Shitlandpony Fri 16-Nov-18 14:52:32

I thought that many maintenance orders continued until age 21 if they are at university.
It’s irrelevant whether there is contact or not of course.

I have dc at university and it’s increfibkg expensive, the loan doesn’t even cover the cost of accommodation.

BitchQueen90 Fri 16-Nov-18 14:54:43

Surely the children are old enough to get in touch with their dad if they want without needing to go through their mum?

I'm a single mum and if DS goes to university I won't expect his dad to pay money to me any more but I would certainly expect him to help DS out directly with living costs just as I will have to.

blackcat86 Fri 16-Nov-18 14:58:00

He needs to pay until each is 19 if they're in full time education. If one has gone past that age but one is under I would suggest using the CMS calculator. Some parents choose to give money to their adult children at uni to help with costs but ultimately they've chosen to go to uni and presumably have a student loan. I probably wouldn't be paying for an adult child who was nc. He needs to contact the mother and inform her of a change with a date and plenty of notice. He doesn't see the kids anyway so what's he got to lose.

Notacluewhatthisis Fri 16-Nov-18 15:01:56

Once the child is 19, he doesn't have to pay.

No parent is obliged to support an adult child going to Uni.

The ex will fail.

He may choose to pay towards costs. But it's a choice.

afrikat Fri 16-Nov-18 15:10:23

My dad continued to pay me and my brother the equivalent of CM whilst we were at Uni. He didn't 'have' to but wanted to help out. It's fairly normal for parents to at least partially support their children when they are in full time education

Shitlandpony Fri 16-Nov-18 16:00:04

No parent is obliged to support an adult child going to Uni

This is just not true! If a court order is in place, it can be until 21.

Honestly I wonder if people here describing an 18 year old as an adult are those with much younger dc.

The loan given to the 18 year old is based on the parental income, so clearly the govt is expecting a level of financial contribution.
Not all degree courses are suitable for doing alongside jobs either.

Maintence has nothing to do with contact either, they are completely separate issues.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in