Advanced search

Help, where do I start?

(8 Posts)
CupidNeedsANewJob Sun 23-Sep-18 23:41:18

I'm a single mum, 28 years old and currently living with at home with mum. She offered me to stay here when I split with my ex while I was pregnant. Told me she wanted me to live with her and it would be easier as she can help out with DD etc etc. Told me she wanted me to stay til DD was at least one so that I could get back on my feet with work etc.
Recently we've been arguing alot, not used to spending so much time together I guess, but its just not working.
I'm gettin maternity pay from the government, because I was working away for the summer, I hadn't been working in my jobs long enough here to get maternity pay from the company.
There's no way I can afford the rent here (Edinburgh) it's so expensive even just for a 1 bed studio type thing.
How would I go about gettin a council house? I know it's not easy, but I will be going back to work in January.
Would I be entitled to a house, would I get help towards rent? I have no idea how everything works, I had been living abroad, and all plans have changed with the split from the ex and now my relationship with my mum is at breaking point.
I'm stressed out, I'm worried I won't be able to find somewhere to live or that it will be so expensive I won't be able to afford to eat.
Any help on where to start would be appreciated. I sound like a helpless idiot I know, but I never thought I would be in a position like this in a million years and I've never claimed any benefits or anything up until now so I don't know how it works. Please don't judge

OP’s posts: |
pumpkinpie01 Sun 23-Sep-18 23:50:58

Sorry you are in this situation. Where I live you have to put your name on the council list and you get points according to how needy you are then you have to bid on the available houses on the Internet. Ring the council tomorrow see how it works in your area it could be totally different. You will be entitled to housing benefit so along with tax credits and maternity pay and hopefully maintenance you should be ok

CupidNeedsANewJob Mon 24-Sep-18 00:03:44

Thanks for the reply. I will research the number and call tomorrow. I hope they are helpful. I don't want the relationship with my mum to get any worse. So its better to get out now and repair the relationship when we both have our own space.

OP’s posts: |
pumpkinpie01 Mon 24-Sep-18 00:08:24

Yea that’s good thinking ,save the relationship rather than end up having a big fall out. ( I couldn’t live with my mother indefinitely either ! ) are you near a citizens advice centre ?

CupidNeedsANewJob Mon 24-Sep-18 08:58:24

I guess I thought we could, but because I'm not working at the moment either we're probably just gettin under eachothers feet. Yes there is a citizens advice here I'll go there, maybe they can help a little more. Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
Dinnaehinksae Mon 24-Sep-18 09:12:28

Not to be a downer but it's doubtful the council will give you somewhere. Where I am (Not too far from edinburgh but not a city) the waiting list is close to ten years I'm pretty sure and it's almost impossible to get anywhere if you have somewhere to go no matter how strained it may be. Your best bet is a homeless application but even then it doesn't always work. Get your mum to maybe put in writing that she's kicking you out, may seem harsh but might help.

KlutzyDraconequus Mon 24-Sep-18 09:16:29

They have an online application form, if you have access to a printer;

Don't focus on 'Cojncil house' as Housing Associations are still social renting and maybe more affordable or quicker to get than 'Council'

There should be links in the website above to help you through every step.

Good luck.

Lostandlonel Wed 26-Sep-18 03:30:32

I was homeless due to my ex kicking me out with a child and pregnant. I was put in temporary accommodation for 4 weeks then got a 2 bedroom house. I pay full rent as I’m working, but you can get help.

It’s awful, but it’s worth it in the end.

I’m in Northumberland x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in