Advanced search

Aibu about work?

(3 Posts)
Moonandstar5 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:47:26

Hi all, I'm new here.

I've just separated from my 4 month baby's father due to an abusive relationship. I had to stay at mum's house until I get temporary accommodation from council.

Things are very hectic. I don't have good relations with my mum as well so my MH is very poor. I'm all over the place.

I'm still on maternity leave and my SMP will stop early November. The job is in retail but I don't want to go back as it was never a job I really liked. My heart is telling me to stay with my DS until I can sort out how I can manage to find a new job and get child care. And also until he's a bit older as I can't bare someone looking after him so young .

I'm aware there is child tax credit and child benefit as well as housing benefits and council tax reduction and hopefully some cm, but is it realistic to rely on benefits until then? Should I stick to my current job and try?

Aibu? I don't know what to do.

Any advice from people who have gone through this would be great.

Thank you biscuit

OP’s posts: |
Seniorschoolmum Tue 14-Aug-18 18:58:52

If you resign, you will have made yourself intentionally unemployed and I think that means there is a delay in getting benefits.

You could ask for flexible working, ask to go back part time while you decide what works. Also go and meet some childminders. I felt the same as you and then met an amazing lady called Denise who changed my mind.
She was ds’s minder then until he started school, and became my closest support ( my mum died before ds was born).
It doesn’t sound like you have much backup, so investing a few weeks trying to find someone you trust, regardless of whether you go back to work, is probably worth the effort.

Imjustsaying Tue 21-Aug-18 23:10:50

Hi. Even though you will have intentionally made yourself homeless you will still be entitled to income support until your child is 5 or universal credit aspect if your in the UC area. It's around £50 a week if your under 18 or £70 If your over 18 on top of other benefits you mentioned. I am a single mum who only ever leaves my daughter to go to work and I find working really helps me get some adult conversation and time to be me. I completely understand your reasons for wanting to stay with your son but you could also get help with childcare costs if you do decide to go back.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in