Advanced search

Changing DS's name on passport

(6 Posts)
Rvrob22 Sat 14-Jul-18 22:20:10

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice/experiences please.

I left an abusive marriage when my DS was 3 weeks old. My ex was named on the birth certificate and I was not given a choice in our DS's name, so it was my ex's full name which is Tunisian, I am English and actually wanted my son's name to reflect both halves of his heritage. Anyway, I managed to change his middle names on his birth certificate, my ex found out and went mad for a little while but has left it (and my son!) alone since then. He is allowed an hour of supervised contact per week but hasn't shown up in a month.

I was just wondering if any of you have managed to change your DC's passport after you changed their name on the birth certificate, it says you need consent for everyone with parental responsibility, which obviously I didn't get, nor will I. But all banks, doctors etc have accepted this name change with no problems. Just wanted to get your experiences and advice on the passport name change??


OP’s posts: |
Doyoumind Sat 14-Jul-18 22:23:47

Surely once you have it on the birth certificate it's job done. How did you manage that though without permission?

Rvrob22 Sat 14-Jul-18 22:31:15

Part of the abuse was him threatening to take our son to Tunisia, so he made me apply for a passport- which is in my son's original name. I guess I could just try without the consent and see what happens.

I don't know how it works but they let you change it - I just rang up the registry office where we registered him, they sent me a form, I filled it in and it was changed. Was surprisingly easy! Cafcass are involved with us following ex-H's behaviour and they couldn't believe how easy it was for me either. They did say that they completely understood why I did it though. No one has ever "told me off" about it, I think it's just a question of morals!

All documents are now changed apart from the passport. I just don't want to lose £50 or whatever the fee is if they won't permit me to change his name without permission. But I do want it changed as i don't want to cause my DS any confusion when he's old enough to understand

OP’s posts: |
Doyoumind Sat 14-Jul-18 22:34:58

I would call the passport office. Don't speak to them about permission. Just say his name has changed on his birth certificate and say you want the passport updating to reflect it and see what they say.

Ginger1982 Sat 14-Jul-18 22:40:52

I think it might just be surnames that you need permission to change? Maybe that's why you had no difficulty with his middle names.

Starlight345 Sat 14-Jul-18 22:43:50

Yes call them . I got my ds’s passport with no info on ex so they don’t have to counter sign everything

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in