Advanced search

Wtf do I do now??

(4 Posts)
rubyrooster Sat 10-Mar-18 19:41:32

So my husband has informed me he is filing for a divorce on Monday.

I hardly work as I look after our two children. I have no money saved as I put it all into our house.

I can't afford to keep the house by myself as obviously won't get a mortgage by myself.

I don't know where to start with getting help money wise.

Any help pleases

OP’s posts: |
ThisLittleKitty Sat 10-Mar-18 20:11:29

I'm not too sure as I havent been through this. But will cab be able to help?

catchingzzzeds Sat 10-Mar-18 20:21:02

Sorry you're going through this. I would give the CAB a miss, their helpfulness varies massively between offices. They actually gave me totally incorrect information.
You need to see a solicitor asap, if you can't get a free half hour consultation then sell a few things to make the money.
I would also phone tax credits and see what help you can get there.
Most of all, look after yourself. This will feel like a continuing nightmare for a while but you won't always feel like this. Take control, the unknown is often scarier than the reality.

NorthernSpirit Sat 10-Mar-18 22:05:00

This sounds terrible for you.

How old are the children? The law states that once children are in Y2 (age 7) there is an expectation that the primary care giver will work and make a financial contribution. Can you go back to work?

I would make sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.

Regarding the house. Both parents need to be able to provide suitable accommodation for the children when in their care - so it’s not a given that you can stay in the house until the youngest is 18. If you stay in the house you’ll be expected to pay the mortgage. You may not be able to take on the mortgage - I court would indemnify your husband if he has to remain on the mortgage should you default.

If the house is sold as part of the divorce finances you will likely get more equity as you are the primary carer.

I would get a solicitor and get some advice. My advice would also be to negotiate as much as you can with your ex rather than line the pockets of solicitors and barristers.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in