Talk

Advanced search

Contact disrupting sleeping

(4 Posts)
Roobear23 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:40:51

My son (20 months) has never been a good sleeper but he will go to sleep by himself now. After seeing his dad, which is on average every 2 weeks but varies due to shifts, he doesn't go to sleep by himself.

I am always there to say goodnight and almost always the one to put him in his cot and his bedtime routine is exactly the same and same place. I guess he wants that extra reassurance from me but I really struggle with knowing if I should leave him to it and pop in every so often like I did when I was encouraging him to learn how to sleep or if I should be there with him.

Because it's a fairly regular visit from his dad I don't want to disrupt his sleeping pattern when he is so good at going to sleep by himself normally.

Sorry this is so badly written and unclear. Hopefully you can make sense of it. Has anyone else found this or have any suggestions?

Danott Tue 13-Mar-18 21:58:12

Hi, does your son actually fall asleep himself after a short time after seeing his father or is he not sleeping at all?

NotAllTimsWearCapes Tue 13-Mar-18 21:59:53

It’s fine. You just reassure him when he needs it like you would if he was needing it for any other reason.

Roobear23 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:19:46

He would cry after I had put him down and left the room when normally he would fall asleep. I had been going in every 3 then 5 minutes until he fell asleep but wasn't sure if I should be with him the whole time.

Since posting his dad has been here much longer than normal and our son has been fine at bedtime the last two nights which is great. I suspect the same will happen when he comes back as a few weeks will have passed but good to know that the consistency and reassurance pays off.

Thank you for your replies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: