Talk

Advanced search

Bored and lonely at the weekends 😢

(8 Posts)
Crosscountry9 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:39:21

Just that really, I have a 2 year old dd and have been single since she was 5 months, after spending a year at home with her I was going a bit crazy and decided to go back to work. I work 10-4 then go to the gym, pick up dd from nursery, go home we have tea, bath then I put her to bed catch up on tv then off to bed myself, it’s not how I imagined my life but we’re doing ok. But the weekends are a real struggle for me she goes to her dads every other weekend end but even when she’s here I feel so alone, we usually sleep in until 9:30 ish, then I try and take her swimming or to baby ballet or the park, come home for lunch, do chores then watch a film or something in the afternoon, Sunday’s I usually take her to see my parents. When she goes to her dads I literally do nothing all weekend I either stay in my pjs all day or just go and stay over at my parents. Any one else feel the same?

AjasLipstick Sat 10-Feb-18 12:54:17

Have you lost touch with your friends or have friendships always been a struggle?

Those weekends are long when you're alone....things do improve when they're older though OP. School brings more opportunities to make friends.x

bluecashmere Sat 10-Feb-18 12:59:34

Sorry to hear you are lonely.

I don't do much when DC aren't with me. I enjoy my own company so don't feel lonely but I sometimes feel I am wasting time and don't always get useful things like housework done and I get annoyed with myself.

I think it can make you feel better just to get dressed and go out. Do you not go to the gym at weekends when you are alone? Do you enjoy going for a walk or a wander round the shops? How about the cinema? Are there any friends you can arrange a meet up with? Are there people at the gym you can strike up a friendship with? How about at work?

There will be other mums locally in the same boat. Are there any you know from things like baby ballet? Do you know any parents from nursery? Once they start having birthday parties it gets a bit easier to meet people.

I lived away from friends and family with young DC so I know what you mean about even feeling alone when your DD is with you.

TeachesOfPeaches Sat 10-Feb-18 13:02:47

Hi OP, I'm jealous of your 9.30 lie ins and we were up at 6am today sad I'm also a lone parent to a 2yo and have been since he was 8m, I also work full time. His dad isn't involved so I don't get a break.

I'm so tired that we're both still sat in our pyjamas watching a film.

Do you have friends nearby?

Crosscountry9 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:56:03

Thanks guys, I have 3 or 4 close(ish) friends to be honest they kind of dropped me when I had dd as I couldn’t always get someone to babysit when they wanted to go out, plus they are all married and like to do couple things. I sometimes go to the gym at weekend but not always because I just struggle to motivate myself at all. The same when walking round the shops it just makes me feel a bit sad because everyone else seems to be with someone.

Mulch Sat 10-Feb-18 14:04:34

I think you need to have a good cry, feel all the feelings then do something. Those free weekends are doing you no good if your staying in or wandering around. Take up a hobby do something that you will look forward to. New social circles are out there

bettycat81 Sat 10-Feb-18 19:05:18

Could you perhaps work more hours on less days and have a weekday off with your daughter?

Previous posters are right it does get better as they get older. Lots if potential new friends out there!

Kingsclerelass Mon 12-Feb-18 23:58:10

Could you contact the local college and sign up for something not very serious. Or find a small local charity who need the occasional bit of help. Maybe something related to children so you meet other mums. Or contact Gingerbread.
It does take a bit of effort, but definitely worth it.
My Ds insisted on learning karate aged 5 (!) and then refused to do it unless I did it too. I would never have planned it but I met lots of new people and got really supple at the same time. smile
Or try mumsnet local. No idea where you are but there are usually people happy to share coffee & cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now