Talk

Advanced search

Homelessness

(4 Posts)
Nohome Fri 02-Feb-18 07:56:19

My landlord gave myself notice to quit in September last year. All legal I’ve looked for private let’s but with 4 kids they are only saying I can rent a 2 bed flat on my wage despite currently having a 4 bed house just now paid the rent on time every month in full.

So I was getting worried, my mum spoke to the council who said they can help. So 4 days to go packing my house up and it goes into storage on Monday. But basically they have said come in on Tuesday, we will find you somewhere, most likely a b&b but the thofibf of that really scares me, not to mention 5 people in one room. I’ve hardly been sleeping. Luckily I’m on holiday from work just now, the stress is really getting to me. I just thought I’d get another private let. 3 beds would’ve done but now I’m facing this.

Anyone have experience of it? I don’t even know how much it will cost how long I’ll be there, council housing give you literally nothing, I don’t even have a forwarding address for my mail.

OP’s posts: |
tissuesosoft Fri 02-Feb-18 07:59:30

This website will tell you how many bedrooms the LA will decide you are entitled to through them - link
It may be a case of a b&b until housing is available and may not be in your local area. Not meaning to scare you more but just to prepare you. Are you receiving all the benefits you're entitled to?

Nohome Fri 02-Feb-18 08:02:27

Yep I get everything I’m entitled too, I’m entitled to 4 as I already get HB
Obviously I’ll be waiting a long time for a 4 bed Council house I’m gojnf to keep looking for a private let also.

I’m jusr not sure how 5 of us can live in one room, eldest is a teenager, guess I’m just worrying now and even how they want paid etc.
Thank you for your reply x

OP’s posts: |
ThisLittleKitty Fri 02-Feb-18 12:13:41

5 in one room is fine on a temporary basis IMO. I lived in a one bed council flat for 3 years with 3 kids before they would move me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in