Talk

Advanced search

Drinking too much

(7 Posts)
pumkinpatch12 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:11:06

I'm a single mum of 1 little girl who'll be 2 in Feb. I don't really know why I've come on here. I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything, I love spending time with my daughter and I cherish every moment but the moment she goes to bed the bottle of wine comes out. I'm finding myself getting through a whole bottle a night. I've got a few money worries and I think I just like to escape reality for the last few hours of the day- so I don't have to worry constantly. When I'm with my daughter she keeps me on my toes so I'm not thinking so much but when it's just me alone it's like I need something to stop me thinking about everything 😔 I'm on anti depressants and have been since I was 17- I'm 20 now. Although I'm not sure they're helping that much. I'm very ashamed of my situation, I won't admit to people how much I drink because I know it's not healthy or right. I don't even know what I'm doing on Mumsnet last time I posted here (about a completely different topic) I got grief. I think I'm just looking for someone to tell me I'm not doing as bad as I think, meh who knows, maybe I am doing as bad as I think- I'm just confused.

MissConductUS Wed 15-Nov-17 00:30:53

The problem (well, one of them) with alcohol abuse is that it can continue into alcoholism, which is a progressive disease. If your nervous system is regularly in the presence of significant amount of alcohol, your neurochemistry changes to cope with it. That's the beginning of addiction.

Try stopping. If you can't stop, seek help, perhaps starting with your doctor. Your doctor should not judge you. Alcohol dependency is at it's core a medical problem.

I wish I could tell you that it's all okay, but a bottle of wine a night is way past normal non-abusive drinking.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 23 years of sobriety. Please don't go through what I had to in order to stop and put my life back together.

Hellywelly10 Wed 15-Nov-17 00:52:32

Sounds like your having a hard time op. You've taken a step recognising that you need help, this is amazing many people never get to this point. Talk to your GP, friends and family if you can. You may be able to get some debt advice. There are debt advice helplines. Good luck.

AntiBi Wed 15-Nov-17 06:13:10

Could you start by buying non-alcoholic wine? I think that reliance on alcohol is 1. It feels nice at the time 2. The ritual of opening a bottle has been associated with relaxation for you.

Am just thinking that the opening of a number n-alcoholic bottle might attend to the second whilst at the same time reducing your intake.

Might be worth a shot initially.

yousignup Wed 15-Nov-17 06:19:32

Well done for recognising that you have a problem, and wanting to stop it before it gets worse. You sound lonely - there is help out there, and it can get better. You are still very young, and your life is still a panorama of possibilities Well done, and take your first step.

newdaylight Wed 15-Nov-17 06:35:45

It sounds like there's lots of ways in which you are doing well.

With the anti depressants not working, that could be linked to the alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant itself and can counter act anti depressants.

Therefore that's another reason to reduce or stop drinking. As posters have said before, going to there gp is a good start of you find that impossible. People who work for support services around drinking have really good practical advice to help people reduce.

I guess it would be important to try and think of a constructive way to use your time in the evening because otherwise getting a drink out is always going to be tempting.

user1473756940 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:59:19

Very much been there. I was a single mum working full time, I felt like I couldn't switch off or relax until I was sat on the sofa with a glass of wine in hand and regularly drank the whole bottle. Part was stress of the day, part was boredom on an evening and part was just habit.

I eventually decided enough was enough and tried to find something else that would occupy me and similarly de-stress me and also help me to feel better. I started exercising in an evening, doing yoga or cardio workouts through youtube. I'd put some music on as well and let loose a little take out some stress. I didn't do it every night and on other nights I got back to doing something I used to enjoy which was drawing so I got a sketch pad and did that. Then if I was good all week and stuck to this I would treat myself at the weekend to a very much deserved glass of wine and I would really enjoy it!

The exercise helped me mentally and physically. And you can do anything from 20 mins to an hour depending on how shattered you are from your day.

Hope this helps. And remember you are doing a great job!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: