Advanced search

Single mother

(5 Posts)
Cmh1592 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:08:16

Hello, I don’t really know where to start but I would like some advice please.
My partner, well now ex walked out on me and our 10 week old baby last week! I’m devastated and shocked, I never thought he would do something like this but has moved back to his mums for good! Said he dosent feel the same way about me anymore. I’m on maternity leave from work and get the statutory £140 a week, however that won’t even cover my £650 rent let alone every other bill! I’m stuck on what I’m supposed to do now?! I haven’t a penny to my name. I’m guessing I go to the council? What exactly am I supposed to say to them, and will I be kicked out of this flat as the landlord dosent want people claiming benefits living here. Any advice appreciated

MistressDeeCee Mon 06-Nov-17 22:20:38

Sorry this has happened. Phone Gingerbread, get yourself some advice asap. Speak to them tomorrow tell them your situation, including rent/landlord situation. Once you've spoken with them then apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, without delay. You may have to do this online.

You can have HB paid to you, not your landlord. Then make the rent payments yourself. If it ends up with you being served with Notice by your landlord then again, go straight to the Council (wherever their Homelessness Dept is) for advice.

Once back at work you may be able to claim Working Tax Credit with the Child Element. Get advice on whether a calculation can be done now, so you can work out what you will be entitled to and whether its worth going back full time. I'm sure there's a WFTC calculator online somewhere.

There's probably a lot more you can do, but someone else will be along with more advice soon, I'm sure. Good luck

follybodger Mon 06-Nov-17 22:33:41

First thing is your babies father should be paying you maintenance for your child and maybe even spousal maintenance. See a solicitor too for advice

I'm became a lone parent when DS was 10 days so I feel your plight. I'm now 10 years on xx

Graphista Mon 06-Nov-17 22:43:22

So sorry this is happening to you its shit.

What you can do tonight:

Collect all your financial info together most recent copies into a folder for when you do your applications to tax credits/council/dwp for benefits

Check an online benefits calculator I generally use

Tomorrow contact

Gingerbread, Shelter, Tax credits, health visitor, basically get all the support you can.

Re landlord, even IF he were to evict you (and that's not certain) it takes ages which is in your favour DO NOT leave as soon as he mentions it, there is a process to go through and if you leave too soon you are then not entitled to emergency social housing which you may then be in urgent need of.

Keep posting on here and getting advice and support. flowers

Graphista Mon 06-Nov-17 22:44:36

Sorry yea - CMS too regarding child maintenance which can take a while to come through.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: