Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cost of Christmas

(15 Posts)
73Marie Tue 31-Oct-17 13:08:24

I'm feeling sad today. i dont know how I can afford Xmas this year. I work full time day n night and still every month its another lonely struggle not to slip under. Has anyone got any ideas for Xmas prezzies I can make, or make it look like there's more than there really is? Lone parenting is so hard. One income - multiple mouths. I need ideas and inspiration!!!

ACurlyWurly Tue 31-Oct-17 13:10:34

been there and it is bloody hard!
how many children and what ages?

Girliefriendlikesflowers Tue 31-Oct-17 13:13:48

How old are your children?

I'm feeling the same this year sad

Amazon is good for cheap stocking fillers and otherwise I use shops like Poundland for other bits and pieces. Do you manage to save anything towards Christmas throughout the year? I try and put a bit by so have a budget of around £120 (save £10 a month.)

SWtobe Tue 31-Oct-17 13:14:59

What ages are your dc

Girliefriendlikesflowers Tue 31-Oct-17 13:15:47

Also keep your eye out on local buy and sell fb pages, quite often toys and books come up on there.

Starlight2345 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:17:20

What age are children . As a toddler most of my ds’s came from car boot. Check out sales . Look on eBay coming direct from China can be cheaper but you have to allow time for for it to be shipped over

user1471495191 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:17:27

Anything you already have which you can recycle for younger ones? I am planning to rewrap a few small Christmas books and a Christmas bib which I found packed away for the baby. I also wrap things I need to buy anyway (new toothbrush/socks?), I find the wrapping paper makes boring things more exciting.

ProseccoandPizza Tue 31-Oct-17 13:18:25

Toys for a pound is a great website with lots of branded bits and pieces such as Star Wars items that retail for £5 or more.

BubblesPip Tue 31-Oct-17 13:24:20

I have one dc and spread the cost throughout the year. I got some good deals in the January sales and continue to keep my eye out during the year. It’s the only way I can give her a relatively ok Christmas. Not helpful for this year, but something to think about next year?

MaverickSnoopy Tue 31-Oct-17 13:26:58

I came across a local freecycle Facebook group the other week - basically free unwanted things via Facebook. Might be worth investigating?

Have you thought of doing surveys? I use panelbase and can make about £20-30 a month with minimal effort. Generally do it on my lunch break or in the evenings/any spare moments.

Do you have nectar points etc that you can use?

73Marie Wed 01-Nov-17 15:49:24

Thanks all. Helpful ideas. Feeling a bit less sad today...i know it's not about the money but it's tough wen u feel like your child is missing out on something. I did save a bit each month but then had few unplanned costs and it all went wrong! I'm looking for primary school age. Freecyclye and toys for a pound sound really good i will check them out.

I've decided to make some toys as well... Hoping kids young enough not to notice lol!
I've managed to get few things from charity shops this week so have few bits now. I wonder if there's something like a toy swap happening? Did NCT used to do something similar? That would be good!. 😁

averylongtimeago Wed 01-Nov-17 16:04:47

Can you knit? I have a lovely pattern for a doll and another for a dinosaur I could pm you?

abbsisspartacus Wed 01-Nov-17 16:08:43

Kids don't need much anyway mine are having a low key Christmas this year

73Marie Wed 01-Nov-17 16:16:03

I've just looked at toys for a pound.... What a fantastic site! Thank you smile

73Marie Wed 01-Nov-17 17:14:46

Thanks averylongtimeago for the offer...sadly I can't knit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now