Talk

Advanced search

Single Mummy

(9 Posts)
Jadehxx Mon 30-Oct-17 16:14:06

Does anyone else feel completely alienated as a single parent? We aren’t just separated, he hasn’t even met my son and took no part in my traumatic birth and pregnancy.
People I know with babies tend to stick to their mummy friends and seem to have different lives with their partners.

BubblesPip Mon 30-Oct-17 19:25:29

flowers I do. I do have Mum friends, but feel like the odd one out. It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it.

Cheeseontoastie Mon 30-Oct-17 20:18:21

I do. I have no friends. Only my sister but her child is old (teen)so can't do things with her and him. I hate going to things on my own and being the only one there on my own watching happy families. It definitely can be isolating. (Ex has never met my youngest baby either btw, doesn't even know her name and doesn't care.)

Ahhh1234 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:23:03

I do too. I have no mummy friends apart from 1 but we aren't close and Maybe see her once a month. My non mummy friends don't want to know now and are loved up. I feel so lonely and weekends are awful. No other babies in the family either. I feel sad my D'S don't have a family unit like I did

73Marie Tue 31-Oct-17 07:41:29

It's so hard looking around and seeing all those perfect happy families...i used to cry quietly every night it hurt so much. But ..I'm a few years down the line now and I promise it gets easier. You see all those happy families but what you don't see is everyone has pain to deal with n their own struggles. Having watched the arguments the cheating the stress from afar...I'm now glad I don't have to deal with all that. Children will make friends in their own time through groups, local play park, cubs, school, etc.

Jadehxx Tue 31-Oct-17 19:40:24

I’m glad to see it’s not just me (however sad everyone else is going through this) x

Jadehxx Tue 31-Oct-17 19:41:10

73Marie, well done you for getting through it and coming out the other end better off x

Doubletrouble42 Tue 31-Oct-17 19:45:43

This was me with my elder dd who is now 19. I brought her up alone. What saved me was finding a small group of other single parents to spend time with. We all supported each other, babysat, holidayed together etc. Maybe connect with people in your area on mn?

nappyrat Tue 31-Oct-17 19:49:43

I really feel for you OP. But soon you may notice not so happy families and relationships around you, and be reminded that being alone is better than being in the wrong relationship.

I hope the doesn’t come across in any way as patronising, but I am so full of admiration for single parents. If it weren’t for YOU, your child would be in such a worse place.

Yes find other single parent friends, but many couples don’t spend all w/e together & will be up for getting together.

And also try not to feel too different if that makes sense. You are a parent, as are many others. Single or otherwise. Some days are shit as a single parent but many are not.

Chin up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: