Advanced search

House size

(5 Posts)
PurpleStar123 Sat 21-Oct-17 22:53:00

I'm v seriously contemplating becoming a lone parent (see another thread I posted for background). It is possible that DH might agree to buy me out of our house which could and only could mean I could get a mortgage on a one bed flat. We live in a v expensive area. We have two DC though who I hope I would have 50/50. Could they are both primary age at the moment but will one day be teens of course. Is it foolish to think we could manage with bunk beds and a sofa bed? It would be more security than renting.

RandomMess Sat 21-Oct-17 23:00:29

I would buy. If you get desperate in the future you could look at renting out your flat and renting somewhere larger for a few years.

PurpleStar123 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:04:36

The market is so tricky at the moment it is hard to know what to do for the best. I'm sure DH will block any amicable agreement for as long as possible anyway.

Misspollyhadadollie Sun 22-Oct-17 11:06:20

I lived in a one bed flat with 2 children and according to the council I wasn't overcrowded so yeh sure you can. It was only when I had 3 that I was moved (still took over a year)

RandomMess Sun 22-Oct-17 12:23:45

To be honest you need legal advice and if your H is in anyway controlling or emotionally abusive speak to women’s Aid for advice and a recommended solicitor.

You are likely entitled to enough of a share so that the DC are adequately housed with both parents- you both may have to get a 3 bed flat for example. Is he really going to do 50% of the care? If not you are likely entitled to more to reflect that their main home is with you.

Please get advice etc before telling him anything if you think he will escalate his bad behaviour flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: