Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else going to be alone this Christmas?

(16 Posts)
user1487175389 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:07:38

Shall we have a support thread for those or us who are facing Christmas alone, with or without our dcs?

In my case I started feeling Christmas looming on the horizon again around August this year! The dcs are already asking for pet unicorns and other unlikely presents... I'm estranged from my family and don't have a new partner, so would be great to find a support network on here.this will be my fourth Christmas without the ex. Can't quite believe it's been that long already.

Misspollyhadadollie Fri 13-Oct-17 20:20:56

Hi, Yes I will be. I have 4 kids.

shaaan1329 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:53:53

Not sure if my situation counts but would like to follow the thread regardless to get some advice. I’ll be 38 weeks pregnant on Christmas Day, minimal family support and single with the father to be not interested in me or baby. Gonna be an interesting one!

rougebuterfly Fri 13-Oct-17 23:04:04

This will be my second Christmas in my own, having left an abusive relationship last year.

winglesspegasus Fri 13-Oct-17 23:32:53

rouge good for you/better to be free buterfly
everyone else ,i am not christian but do get down on xmas/dh died last xmas so its gonna be a trial.
can't do it where i live but used to love going to midnight mass on xmas eve.beautiful cathedrals and everyone happy and peaceful.

user1487175389 Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:28

Hey everyone. Good to see you all - I was starting to think I'd be the only one.

MissPolly goodness, 4 dcs must be hard work, especially as Christmas looms. I have 3 myself, but I take my hat off to you.

Shaaan welcome - of course your situation counts! It must be really daunting what you're going through.

rouge I can relate to that, as my ex was also abusive. It's good to be free of him, but still scary facing my kids' expectations of Christmas on my own. They get so excited - I wish I could feel the same. Sometimes I feel I'm bound to let them down somehow and spoil the magic. Hopefully I'll rise to the challenge again somehow though.

wingless I'm so sorry for your loss. How devastating flowers. Hopefully this will be a place where you can at least draw on some online support.

yorkshirejo Sat 21-Oct-17 19:19:18

My 1st Christmas alone and estranged from family too. Last year the ex and I spent Christmas day together for our son and our selves if I'm honest too. But it was just delaying the inevitable really. This year, I'm alone whilst the ex has met a new partner.

I did hear of a charity called Stand Alone on BBC R4 Womans' Hour. They are holding workshops for those estranged from family in the run up and post-festive period. I'm going to the one in Manchester.

user1487175389 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:15:16

Hi yorkshirejo sorry to hear you're on your own too. The first year the ex and i also did christmas together for the dcs, buy its not an experience i ever want to repeat tbh.

Thats a coincidence - I'm also signed up for Stand Alone (in London) after hearing about the on Woman's hour - I've only been able to get to one session so far, but I hope it's going to be the beginning of getting my life back on track.

free2017 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:35:45

Yes I will be single parent one DC .this is the fifth Christmas alone since he was born smile

HydrangeaRanger Thu 09-Nov-17 21:30:16

It'll just be me and bump too! Looking forward to having a sleep in...

Sillysausage123 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:57:20

Just me and my son and it's lonely every year.
It annoys me that people assume you shouldn't be lonely if you have children at xmas but as my son is 11 now and not wanting toys for xmas or to watch xmas films I really feel envious of people having large family xmas'

Sillysausage123 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:58:12

Just me and my son and it's lonely every year.
It annoys me that people assume you shouldn't be lonely if you have children at xmas but as my son is 11 now and not wanting toys for xmas or to watch xmas films I really feel envious of people having large family xmas

apoolofprettypetals Fri 10-Nov-17 21:13:23

Although I am not alone for Christmas me and DP was just discussing inviting an elderly person for lunch or a homeless person.
I remember seeing an advert a good while back saying that you can volunteer to do this for old people but we are struggling to remember what it was!
Does anyone know?

atomicnotsoblonde Fri 10-Nov-17 23:35:47

I’m dreading it. It will be our first Christmas and new year alone after he was arrested for dv. I’ve looked for local family parties at new year but most are 4 course hotel based and very expensive. No idea what to do or how to make it special. Any suggestions welcome and love to all struggling x

apoolofprettypetals Fri 10-Nov-17 23:41:26

I would welcome anyone into my home at Christmas, such a horrible thought that people are alone.
flowers

ButFirstTea Sat 11-Nov-17 00:02:27

I don't want to intrude - I'm not a parent and I'm lucky to not be alone this Christmas - but just wanted to let you know if you weren't aware, every year the comedian Sarah Millican hosts a Twitter chat on Christmas day under the hashtag #joinin for people who are alone and fancy connecting with others in the same boat.

Hope you all manage to enjoy the festive season as much as possible x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now