Advanced search

will housing benefit be reduced by student daughter?

(15 Posts)
denise13 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:29:20

hi, single mum with 12 yr old, works 6 hrs per week, receiving good housing benefit towards rent, but my 20 yr old (at uni till Apri)l student daughter says she would like to come home, which is good, but now i am worried that my housing benefit will be reduced and i will struggle to pay the rent, if so i may have to ask family will they take her in. then again if someones says my benefit wont be harmed, will it change again when not at uni after April?

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 17:30:55

If she is coming home that means she'll be saving the cost of rent so she can contribute to yours to make up any shortfall in your housing benefit.

denise13 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:36:46

that's true, so from your kind reply, i can take it, yes, she will affect my housing benefit, and then i suppose on the other hand, i will have to pay full council tax, because two adults will live here then. just trying to do the maths to see how the land will lie.

leghoul Wed 04-Oct-17 17:40:22

Not sure it would reduce what you are getting, unless she starts working etc. I really don't think she would if she just comes home to live for a while. I don't know the rules on this but moneysavingexpert forums are helpful for specific questions.

sinceyouask Wed 04-Oct-17 17:40:41

Shelter has information here

The amount that will be deducted depends on her income; if it is less than £136 a week you will have £14.80 deducted. If she is going to remain a student and is NOT working, a non dependant deduction should not be applied.

It really is best to get expert advice to work put exactly what your position will be.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 17:41:18

As far as I know she doesn't count as a dependant although I'm not sure if her status as a student changes that. It wouldn't be worth using the entitled to calculator to see how her living there will change things.

sinceyouask Wed 04-Oct-17 17:42:44

If she's under 25 and claims JSA, IS or ESA (or UC with no earned income), again, nothing should be deducted. But do go and speak to someone who can take your exact details and give you really accurate advice!

Akire Wed 04-Oct-17 17:44:41

Students don’t pay council tax so would presume you still get single adult discount and benefit towards.

denise13 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:52:11

Thankyou all for the replies so fast! expert advice from where? the council tax office seems hard work these days and don't seem to want to help with information, saying look it up online, hence I am here.
Aanother recent worry is, I recently filled in a change of income form for housing benefit and council tax support' and it was duly returned ok. Because I listed my change of hours down from 22 to only 6. I thought they would pass it onto the council tax dept, and maybe reassess my council tax, but I think this is not the case, as it has been 4 weeks now, am I right in thinking the depts don't contact one another and it is down to myself to do this.

user1471444370 Wed 04-Oct-17 18:58:26

You will still get your single persons discount for council tax but your daughter will need to provide proof of student status. Depends where you are but the local authority where I am, the housing benefit and council tax team pass the information to each other but it can take up to 4 weeks + for any changes. It could be that your reduction in hours doesn't affect your council tax reduction/benefit, there should be a calculator on the council's web site that should give you an idea.

sinceyouask Wed 04-Oct-17 19:05:15

See if there is a welfare rights service in your area, if the CAB have benefits advisors available, or if Shelter can advise you over the phone. Some housing associations offer welfare benefits advice too.

Louw12345 Fri 06-Oct-17 23:36:49

My friend lives with her dad and doesnt get help with council tax as it's not her house. He wasn't working at the time either. Also depending on what your daughter Is doing a uni if the year finishes in may she may have to get a job to cover her till September. She may be able to claim jsa however they aren't that lenient students with no children and may force her into any work

Auspiciouspanda Sat 07-Oct-17 07:50:29

I'm a housing benefit assessor.

If she is a full time university student there is no non dependent deduction until she leaves university (official end date is July)

After that if she has no income she will be on the lowest deduction, same for any benefits but this depends on when she turns 21 or if she's working depending on her gross weekly earnings your housing benefit will be reduced.

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 07:59:35

Basically once your DD is no longer a student she needs to get any job asap and start contributing whilst looking for a job she really wants to do.

hmmwhatatodo Fri 13-Oct-17 16:44:26

Hi auspicious panda. Do you mind if I ask you some questions related to the same issue as the op?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: