Talk

Advanced search

Blended family? What do you think this means?

(14 Posts)
childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Tue 22-Aug-17 20:53:32

Context: divorced, 1 child.

Ex in a relationship, no children. His partner shouted at me today that they are a blended family. Yes of course they are a family. I have never indicated otherwise to DC, but blended? I normally thought that involved multiple sets of children. There is only 1 child, in every family. So it got me thinking, what does a blended family look like?

lavendermint Tue 22-Aug-17 20:55:51

Misery for the children, a lot of the time.

I agree with you, though.

BackieJerkhart Tue 22-Aug-17 20:58:11

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by "ex in a relationship no children" do you mean your ex'a partner has no children or they have no children together but his partner has a child?

TeachesOfPeaches Tue 22-Aug-17 21:05:29

I think blended is when you mix the children together in one home.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Tue 22-Aug-17 21:32:45

Hi backie, sorry not clear. They have no children together and his partner does not have any children of her own, so there is just 1 child who travels between the 2 family homes.

Soozikinzii Tue 22-Aug-17 21:35:18

Blended family is where both partners already have children

BackieJerkhart Tue 22-Aug-17 21:53:43

I wouldn't call that a blended family then.

NC4now Tue 22-Aug-17 21:56:55

No, that's my situation, but I have two children. Ex and I are both remarried to people with no DC or SC. There's just two couples and two kids (siblings) from the original relationship.
We aren't a blended family.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Tue 22-Aug-17 22:32:15

Thank you! So, that's what I thought that the blended was mixing children, either from old families or with new siblings. And yes, judging from here it is a complex process! I don't think of my DC situation as being blended.

Soozikinzii Sun 17-Dec-17 20:42:48

A blended family is where both partners bring a child or children to the family

NorthernSpirit Sun 17-Dec-17 20:50:53

Sounds like your EX wife has been reading things on the internet and has misinterpreted the phase ‘blended’ family. It means the coming together of 2 sets of children.

Don’t agree at all with @lavendermint it’s ‘misery for the children, a lot of the time’. It may be in your case, but it’s not for the majority. Surely it’s better for children to see their parents in loving relationships with the right partners?

MrsEricBana Sun 17-Dec-17 20:52:32

It definitely means where the partners both have children from their previous relationships and they all blend together into a new while ie NOT your situation. Good luck with her :-(

MrsEricBana Sun 17-Dec-17 20:53:09

New whole , sorry

Greenshoots1 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:54:20

it just means step family, so she's right

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: