Talk

Advanced search

What career do you have?

(4 Posts)
MrsInTuition Wed 07-Jun-17 13:08:23

Sorry to be so nosey...

I've been a lone parent now for 18 months. Since youngest DC turned 1, I can't shake the feeling of wanting to return to work and be more than just a Mum (not meant rudely, that's just how I feel personally)

But I'd really like to make a career out of it this time. Last position didn't offer much opportunity for progression, so I don't want to just return to what I know.

Nor can I decide what path to go down!! I considered training to be a Primary School Teacher but after speaking to other teachers, decided now maybe wasn't the time with DCs so young...

Not opposed to going back to college/university to retrain.

I just want the kids to be proud of me but I'm feeling all this pressure that it will be me taking care of everything! Child care arrangements, costs, etc.

Can I be cheeky and ask what you do for a living and how you cope?

user1487854472 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:41:46

I'm a nurse. I love how flexible it is. I work nights so that I'm there for my daughter. There are so many options.

CoconutGal Wed 07-Jun-17 18:09:04

I was a nursery playworker when DD was younger, then a care worker & senior & now going into training via work to become a healthcare assistant with the NHS. DD is now 11 so it's been a long slog & I did find doing home courses helped keep me busy & focused on a career. It can be challenging juggling a career & home but most of the time with the right support from your employer, family & friends, it can be great!

Queenofthedrivensnow Fri 09-Jun-17 17:18:18

Social worker. Only practised since dd1 was little. It's not perfect I pay childcare but I don't hate it and I get in well with my colleagues

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now