Talk

Advanced search

Newly single and night times are hard

(8 Posts)
MummyToNoah Tue 30-May-17 20:34:21

So me and my partner split up over a month and a half ago. Trust me don't miss him, he was horrible and I'm so much happier and better off. But my god the evenings are hard. I get lonely, bored, and just generally feel negative. Plus struggle being the only one there to deal with disturbed sleep from my little boy. Anyone got any tips, on how to just relax and feel more like me at night?

user1491572121 Wed 31-May-17 13:02:31

Have you got any hobbies? Crosstitch can be really absorbing...other crafts too. Painting?

jeaux90 Wed 31-May-17 23:15:06

It's hard the first few months. Getting through the loneliness to being really happy in your own company is a massive gift though. I've been a lone parent since dd was 1. She is 8 now. I think it took me a good year before I felt truly happy again (if you are recovering from abuse it takes time)

Try and see it as a luxury. Have a bath, watch a movie etc. I co-slept with mine by the way. She woke a lot and I work full time so sleep was more important than discipline to me grin

zozozoo Thu 01-Jun-17 21:25:03

I'm two months down that road and all I'll say is that wine isn't the answer! I enjoy Netflix and fetlife at the moment! A good read before bed is also nice - the ex was always looking at his phone or complaining about the light. Have cups of your favourite uncaffeinated tea smile

Chocolatteandbiscuits Sat 03-Jun-17 22:05:04

I'm 6 months in being a single parent. The first few months were very tough. I cried a lot but now it's a lot better. Can watch what tv I want. Can shop online without hassle. Watch some boxsets, research online for a hobby maybe? I can only imagine it gets easier as you become to like your own company more flowers

Chocolatteandbiscuits Sat 03-Jun-17 22:05:33

Oh that was suppose to be flowers not alcohol!

PenelopeChipShop Tue 06-Jun-17 11:30:43

I have just joined this club as well. My DH left about 6 weeks ago. Completely agree with ZozoZoo that drinking isn't a great idea. I think I had a drink every night for about the first month, I was so down and so exhausted from doing everything myself (I still have a non-sleeping toddler) that I figured I deserved it.

But now I am focusing on looking after myself. Sometimes I batch cook toddler food while listening to my favourite podcasts, or if I'm too tired I'll do a bit of gentle Pilates or Yoga from YouTube or a DVD. If knackered I do just watch the TV! I recommend getting into a Netflix series, then if there's nothing on actual TV you always have something you can enjoy. At first even that depressed me as DH and I used to watch Grey's Anatomy together, but then I realised I wanted to keep watching it and just carried on.

I also sometimes just go to bed super early and read. That sounds really sad but it can be quite luxurious if you sort of pretend it's like an old-style lie in!

user1496940061 Wed 21-Jun-17 10:55:51

Hi
I'm about to be a single dad and have concerns about the lonely evenings I'm not great by myself and love company , to chat and noise etc

I will have Kids 50% but once they go to bed it will be tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now