Talk

Advanced search

London

(8 Posts)
spaceyface89 Sun 28-May-17 20:01:43

Any single parents with pre-school age children living in London...
How much do you earn / pay rent / support from government?
Do you survive on one income whilst paying nursery fees?
Been offered an amazing job and contemplating a move but want advice about costs etc.
Thanks

hmmwhatatodo Mon 29-May-17 19:19:02

What area and what's the salary?

NooNooMummy Tue 30-May-17 10:20:27

Nursery:£800-£1000 per month (£75/ day); I have a small mortgage but most people pay about £1000-15000 rent per month for a 1-2 bed flat. You can get help with nursery costs if your income is low (sorry, don't know what the threshold is) or childcare vouchers through work.

spaceyface89 Tue 30-May-17 17:19:55

Salar would be 40k plus 350 child maintenance. I fear it puts me in the bracket of no government support but not enough for living in London. If he was school age, i think it'd be ok but nursery fees are vast.

NooNooMummy Wed 31-May-17 21:00:29

You could try a nanny-share? Local message board often have people looking to do a nanny-share - might be more affordable.And/ or bring a family member with you for a while to help with childcare for a while? There are also threads on here started by other single parents in London looking to do a house share- that might cut your costs a bit and the other parent might be in a position to help with childcare costs?

NooNooMummy Wed 31-May-17 21:02:04

....Childcare not childcare costs

hmmwhatatodo Wed 31-May-17 23:02:16

How long do you have to go until he starts school? Would you be happy to live in a small one bed flat for now or maybe even a studio flat?

hmmwhatatodo Wed 31-May-17 23:03:06

And how much take home pay would you have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now