Talk

Advanced search

Moving home and school with 2DC

(4 Posts)
Whyisitnotbedtimeyet Wed 24-May-17 20:04:26

Hi.
I separated from my STBXH 2 years ago. We have 2 school age children together. I moved out and have been privately renting with the kids, however I still own a flat with my ex. I have tried to have my name taken off and organise a financial arrangement, but with no response on his part, it's been impossible.
My problem now is that my job post is changing and I have no childcare available where we rent at (close to ex but he refuses to help out. He has kids 3 nights a week and won't agree any changes to that). I have made the decision to move 40 miles away into my parent's home. This allows me to have support nearby, to keep my job and to save money for me to commence court proceedings. I'm concerned that he can however stop us from moving, or stop the children from changing schools. They can't be expected to make a 40 mile journey twice a day, and it is impossible for me to live where we do with my job changing.

Does anyone have any insight or understanding regarding changing of school and moving kids? When I tried to discuss it with him, he just said 'no, they aren't allowed to move'.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance smile

OverOn Wed 24-May-17 22:52:19

Which three nights a week does your ex have them? If they can't travel 40miles to school each way, what's your proposal for how contact with dad will change?

I understand completely about you needing to keep your job and live where you get support. But you need a plan of how contact would work and how you will facilitate it.

Is he likely to try to stop you moving through courts etc? Have you got a written contact plan?

Whyisitnotbedtimeyet Fri 26-May-17 20:55:08

He has them Sunday, Monday and a Thursday night. I have suggested every 2nd weekend and extra time during school holidays for after the move. I have offered to drive half way to meet him with the children. All of these suggestions (and most other messages TBH) have been ignored.

I have been offering him weekends with the children since we split but he says he won't change his work hours to suit that and he will stick with 3 nights a week.

He isn't in a financial position to apply to court, unless his parents pay this for him.
There is no written plan. My solicitor has contacted him multiple times with suggestions of separation agreement, written confirmation of plans for kids etc and he has ignored every method of contact. I am at a point where I have no choice but to go to court to get any resolve in the situation, however I gave him the benefit of doubt and attempted mediation with my daughters therapist (through NSPCC due to his emotional abuse of our eldest). Again, he didn't keep up any agreements that were jointly made at the initial mediation appointment.

Starlight2345 Fri 26-May-17 22:40:27

I think in this case I would go back to your solicitor due to the fact assuming he has Pr he can object to schools etc.

I think though as you have so many offers that are ignored you may have good case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now