Talk

Advanced search

Jewellery

(5 Posts)
Fabulousdahlink Sat 13-May-17 07:44:34

Have five rings given to me over my 20 years of marriage by my current husband who walked out on our family 8 weeks ago to live with his mistress we were unaware of...
I no longer wear any of them because of the affiliation of the giver ( and the subsequent secrets and lies associated with him which have since come to light) None are especially valuable- not vintage or the koh-in- noor in size. Just high street, but once emotionally valuable...now tainted by the truths revealed.
Hive wisdom needed.
Options
Keep and give to children in bequest
Have them remodelled into something new ( advice required)
Sell? And buy something for myself as a positive act
Sell? And spend money on a weekend away with the kids.
Keep them because I might later regret selling them
Keep them in case I need to pay a bill now he's gone.

Or any other suggestions?

lozsenge Sat 27-May-17 22:32:32

I'm in a similar position. I've decided to sell all but my wedding ring (so my daughter can see it when she grows up and know that once her parents did love each other) and then spend a little on a piece of jewellry for me and put a little away for a rainy day

Toffeelatteplease Tue 30-May-17 20:44:12

Give it five years then decide. How you feel now might be very different than in five years time

pinkmagic1 Tue 30-May-17 20:49:21

I would sell them and have a lovely weekend away with the kids if it were me.

FlouncingInTheRain Tue 30-May-17 20:49:30

I initially kept, thinking i might pass on to the DC. Then I decided the stress of association would nag at me if the DC wore them/ passed them on to their loved ones. I sold them. Actually, the money got swollowed at a time we needed to keep our heads above water so didn't go on specifics.

Many years on, I feel relief it was the right thing to do. I have new things of sentiment in my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now