Advanced search

Childcare vouchers

(13 Posts)
mytimewillcome Mon 24-Apr-17 14:17:48

Is it possible to change childcare provider now? My ex gets them from Edenred and currently pays directly to the childminder but I want him to pay to me as then I can get more tax credits. He is refusing saying that he can't make any further changes until next March. Is he being a dick (as usual) or is he bring truthful (for once).

xyzandabc Mon 24-Apr-17 14:23:59

I thought you could only pay childcare vouchers to a registered childcare provider. That's definitely the ways ours work, when i set up the account i had to provide the registration details of the childcare setting. The vouchers are then paid directly to them. I couldn't choose to pay them to someone else (unless the were also a childcare provider).

Catdogcat Mon 24-Apr-17 14:28:08

We have to pay ours to an ofsted registered provider, the company sent our childminder a pack to fill out.

They wouldn't allow it to be paid to a non registered person.

Babyiwantabump Mon 24-Apr-17 14:29:43

You can only pay them direct to a childcare provider

mytimewillcome Mon 24-Apr-17 14:29:59

Yes you're right. I didn't think of that. Basically he has decided his maintenance is going to be directly to the childminder not to me. He pays her childcare vouchers so basically there is nothing I can do about that is there? If he paid me directly I'd get more tax credits.

xyzandabc Mon 24-Apr-17 14:31:24

Sorry, i think i misunderstood your post. You want him to stop claiming the vouchers altogether. Then pay you that money instead.
I think it depends on the company, my husband claims childcare vouchers and he only has 2 small windows a year where he can change the amounts claimed. If he doesn't change it in March, he has to wait until the September window opens, he then has a couple of weeks to change it and if he doesn't, he won't be able to change it until the following March. So in his case, yes it is entirely possible he can't change the amount immediately.

xyzandabc Mon 24-Apr-17 14:36:18

Would cost him more to do it your way.

He currently pays no tax on what he pays to the childminder. If he paid it directly to you, as cash rather than vouchers, it would be taxed at source before he received it.

So to pay you the same amount as he currently pays the childminder would cost him 20 or 40% more depending on whether he is a lower or higher rate tax payer.

SpaghettiMeatballs Mon 24-Apr-17 14:58:19

I only have a once a year chance to change deductions with Edenred so it sounds plausible.

mytimewillcome Mon 24-Apr-17 14:58:27

I know xyz but if he paid it to me directly I would get more tax credits and I've been told both by the CMA and a solicitor that childcare costs do not equal maintenance. Maintenace should pay towards the children's day to day needs.

GreenGoblin0 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:29:19

why would you get more tax credits if paid the money directly to you?

mytimewillcome Mon 24-Apr-17 20:19:37

Because if the money is being paid directly to the childcare provider then it reduces the amount I can claim for tax credits.

Disappointednomore Mon 24-Apr-17 22:42:17

Xyz is correct. My ex muttered something about paying maintenance in childcare vouchers and I simply stated "I am not Ofsted registered" but I'm aware that he was planning to do what your ex does in order to accrue the tax savings to himself. So if for example he had to pay £300 per month and paid £200 to a childcare provider and £100 to me in reality it would only cost him around £220. As it is I use my own childcare vouchers thus accruing my own tax benefit. I think if you went via the CMS he would have to pay you directly and would not get away with paying for the childcare with vouchers - he doesn't get to decide how he pays.

mytimewillcome Wed 26-Apr-17 12:19:28

Thank you Disappointed. I have just used a version of your 'I am not Ofsted Registered.' And also that he doesn't get to decide how he pays. I've spoken to the CMA and they've said that as he is paying they can't get involved. So frustrating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: