Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a PI for child maintenance?

(6 Posts)
usernamechange6579 Sat 15-Apr-17 14:07:02

Hi I have a situation where the child's father claims they are on minimum wage.

They have a high level of education, high skilled job in a major city, so I think this is unlikely. When I was with they also had rental income.

They may be using self employment to get around the maintenance issue, how would that work?

Has anyone used a PI to check out an ex, and if so did it pay off?

needsahalo Sun 16-Apr-17 19:46:46

The CMS will check with the HMRC. If you think that income is incorrect, you will need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then follow the steps to a tribunal.

There are various Facebook groups that will help. Self employ,net is tricky and the CMS struggle with it. My ex advertises all over the internet but says he takes no salary so no maintenance. It's very frustrating.

needsahalo Sun 16-Apr-17 20:17:15

The CMS will check with the HMRC. If you think that income is incorrect, you will need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then follow the steps to a tribunal.

There are various Facebook groups that will help. Self employ,net is tricky and the CMS struggle with it. My ex advertises all over the internet but says he takes no salary so no maintenance. It's very frustrating.

KarmaNoMore Sun 16-Apr-17 22:11:20

The PI will charge you a fortune for doing google searches you can do yourself. And even if they find he is living above his reported means, you would have a big problem to prove it.

I would say that what you need is his national insurance number to pass to CMS. CMS will be checking his income with Inland Revenue but if he is lying to Inland Revenue there is little you can do.

Problem with him being self employed or having their own company is that the can put down a lot of assets as property of the company to claim they earn less and pay less taxes (and child maintenance).

usernamechange6579 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:15:19

Thanks. They know who he works for (a company) so I assume have his NI from that, but will check. It looks to me like he is employed, but it could be he is getting that company to pay his, so yes operating as self employed.

I hate the CMS, last time they were involved (at my request) they seemed to make the situation very negative and volatile very quickly, god knows what they said to him but I got a flurry of texts accusing me of trying to make money off him, it was horrible. It's why I'm trying to be sure I have the facts before going to them.

KarmaNoMore Mon 17-Apr-17 21:30:32

I wouldn't put the blame on them, some men would go ballistic and aggresive if you dare to demand a penny more from their salary even if it is for your children.

I do think however that if they have the NI Number and nothing has happened there is little else they can do unless you can send them proof that he has other sources of income. Sadly when it comes to self employed/company owners exes. We are pretty much stuffed. Sorry. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now