Talk

Advanced search

No longer sure what I'm for

(4 Posts)
ShineyBlackShoes Sun 12-Mar-17 22:55:58

I'm a long time single parent and long time single.
Both my DS's are now grown. DS1 is soon to leave home, DS2 won't be far behind. I have just rid of my big dining table for a tiny one which is more suitable to just me or just me and DS2.
It has now hit me though, what will I be when my DS are gone?
I have a demanding job with long hours, and no social life as I've just never had time for one, or the money. I know my DS will always need me, but what does a single single-parent do? How does a middle-aged woman find friends or get a hobby?

Solasum Sun 12-Mar-17 23:07:05

Take stock.

Do you love your job, or is it time for a change?

What did you enjoy doing once upon a time? Is there anything happening locally? If not, where is it?

ShineyBlackShoes Sun 12-Mar-17 23:20:22

Can't afford a change: got another 15 years on my mortgage

I met my husband when I was 18 and dedicated my life to him, then to bringing up my kids on my own after we split. I have never done anything else really.

Where I live there isn't anything happening at all. But I'm not sure what I could do that's part of the issue. My evenings are largely taken up anyway as once I'm home and have eaten its often gone 9, so it's a weekend thing I need I think.

This total change of life is so hard and in taking stock I find I am unsure who I am now and what I am for: empty nest thing I know ;0(

TheElephantofSurprise Sun 12-Mar-17 23:21:04

Oh, now, this is such a lovely stage of life!
Yes, as above, take stock.
Also look back - what did you like before you were 'Mum'? Is any of that relevant today?
Look around - what's happening in your area? Exhibitions, classes, courses?
What were your ambitions? Is there anything you could fulfil? Join a book club. If you are in Manchester, message me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now