Talk

Advanced search

Partners Just Left Advice Needed

(4 Posts)
Sarahjs2017 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:27:07

My Partners left at the weekend. I have 3 kids under 7. I am really worried I am not going to be able to make ends meet. He has said he will pay the mortgage and some of the bills but he's so unreliable this may change after 2-3 months. I am going to apply for Tax Credits and was thinking of speaking to a solicitor about getting something in writing stating how much he's going to pay towards the bills, any advice would be appreciated.

Graphista Mon 27-Feb-17 21:38:01

Where are you roughly? That way mners can signpost you to the best organisations to help in your area.

Generally

Gingerbread, cms, gp, tax credits, child benefit, dwp, council.

Are you working?

There are benefits calculators

Entitledto
Turn2us

First steps financially

If you don't already open your own bank account completely separate from ex's asap for your money to go into.
If you work get wages paid into new account asap.
Single person council tax notification
Cms to get maintenance sorted asap especially as he sounds flaky
Child benefit - as a Lp you can switch to weekly payments
Tax credits - depends on your working circumstances but the sooner you contact them the better as can take a while.
If not working/not earning enough contact dwp and council to apply for jsa/income support/universal credit, housing benefit (will probably only pay interest on a mortgage), council tax benefit.

Sarahjs2017 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:58:38

Graphista , Thanks for your reply. I am currently living in Lewisham but am thinking about moving to be closer to my family. I will look at the calculators. I am currently working part time to fit in with the school runs.

I am going to contact the tax credits department today. If I am entitled to any tax credits, do they calculate what I am entitled to based on what my ex-partner is paying towards the monthly bills and do they re-assess what I am entitled to if he decides in 2-3 months to pay less. Any feedback appreciated.

Graphista Tue 28-Feb-17 15:46:11

I'm not sure, I'm guessing that would be viewed the same as child maintenance which isn't included for tax credits etc but I'm not sure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now