Advanced search

Free milk, dinners any other help I can apply for? (esp household improvements)

(12 Posts)
arwen Tue 27-Feb-07 10:35:13

I am a newly lone parent and have been told I will be eligible for all sorts of things as I have a 3 and 4 year old. I am just not sure where to go or how to find out. I have tried the CAB and unfortunately in my area they were actually most unhelpful (and quite rude and wrong). Can anyone tell me where to start with free milk etc and I would be particularily interested if I would be eligible for any grants for new windows, cavity wall insulation etc.House is falling down around me!

many thanks in anticipation

ssd Tue 27-Feb-07 10:37:35

hi try

good luck

hoolagirl Tue 27-Feb-07 10:39:42

You should get free milk tokens automatically when you get income support.
Have you contacted your local job centre to make a claim, I think this should be your first port of call.

arwen Tue 27-Feb-07 10:49:41

I've been to the job centre, done the application etc but nothing was said about milk tokens.maybe I'll give them a ring. I thought it might be through the council?

AMAZINWOMAN Tue 27-Feb-07 14:46:59

milk tokens are just for a certain age, so your health visitor may be worth trying. at my old surgery there was a community clinic or something there-where babies get their immunisations and they exchanged the tokens for milk

pirategirl Tue 27-Feb-07 15:27:25


This is the link for Healthy start vouchers. They now replace milk tokens in many parts of the country, as they give you the option to use them towards fresh produce as well as milk, my dd was getting them up untill sept after she was 4.

You can also get help with housing bens, council tax bens. Child tax credit, but i am not sure about the grants for homes. Perhaps your local council office will be able to tell you.

arwen Tue 27-Feb-07 16:06:10

Thanks pirategirl, that link is fab!

quietmouse Tue 27-Feb-07 16:16:09

I don't think you will get any help with home improvements other than being able to apply for a budgeting loan if you are on Income Support. Up to £1000 I think, and obviously has to be paid back.

Are you in council/HA or do you own your own home?

JustUsTwo Tue 27-Feb-07 16:26:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nikkie Tue 27-Feb-07 20:33:32

I know what you mean with the house, WARM FRONT, get loft insulation or cavity wall insulation,some free energy saver light bulbs.

ssd Wed 28-Feb-07 07:22:00

we got this done, ask at your local council

good luck

arwen Wed 28-Feb-07 18:17:49

Thanks everyone, what exactly did you get done ssd?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: