Talk

Advanced search

What do I do

(3 Posts)
user1485559788 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:23:58

My partner of 18 years as just left me (yesterday). I've been a stay at home mum for 13 years. Never claimed benefits, apart from child benefit.

I've know idea were to start. I know I need to find work, but what about child care after school? Then different child care during school holidays?

I've been looking for jobs this morning, but they all want references. I haven't worked for 13 years, so can't provide any.

We privately rent, and the tenancy is in his name. Even if I can stay I don't think I could afford the rent on my own.

I'm sorry for the long jumbled post, but I'm heartbroken and terrified of the unknown

BlackeyedSusan Fri 03-Feb-17 23:19:30

it will get better. it will be hard to get it all sorted out in the mean time but life will improve in the end.

work out priorities.
work through things systematically.
be kind to yourself. it is a big shock and you will be out of sorts for a bit.

freemanbatch Sat 04-Feb-17 20:23:55

How old are your children? Has your ex agreed to pay for the kids?

Right now everything seems huge and impossible to sort out but in a few short weeks it will all be sorted and you'll be proud of your self for getting through.

On Monday morning ring to job centre and ask their advice on what to apply for. Your doctor may give you a sick note for a few weeks while you get sorted if you ask which might take the pressure off.

Other people to ring are tax credits, the local council to claim single person Discount on your council tax and council tax benefit as well as housing benefit for your rent. If the ex hasn't agreed child support then call the child maintenance people and start a claim there as well.

It might be worth speaking to your housing department about possible council house options and getting yourself on the list.

It's scary now but you will get there I promise :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now