Talk

Advanced search

Do you always claim full CMS amount?

(4 Posts)
Bythebeach Thu 02-Feb-17 22:48:29

So I finally went to the CMS a year ago (old thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/lone_parents/2549436-Maintenance ) and amicable relations have not been restored between DS1's father, step-mum and my DH and me but we communicate about DS1's visits to them via email.

Last year I claimed CMS as though DS1 spent 52-104 nights/ year at his dads although in fact when I made the claim it was below the threshold at just about 50 nights i believe but I didn't want to be petty. in the last year, DS1 has only spent 29 nights at his dad's because he has been so much less keen to go there (summer he came home after 3 nights of supposed 14 night visit because he was upset). DS1's father seems to very much lay the blame for DS1's unhappiness at his house on me and can't seem to see the reality that DS1 has gradually been less happy visiting over the last 3 years.

So...CMS asked to check details for this coming year and at present it looks likely that DS1 visits will fall far below 52 night threshold again but I haven;t informed them therefore losing out on circa £500 again this year because it is all so unpleasant and I am worried they will increase hostility again if I do.

Is that okay or should I claim full amount son is entitled to? Are there any repercussions to not letting CMS know reality of situation ? In all honestly, we are more comfortably off than ex and his wife are currently and I was only driven to claim last year because we had had nothing for five months at all and my DH was facing redundancy and I was worried for our household as well as getting upset for DS1 that his own father cared so little for him. I would have been happy with a regular less-than-CMS amount but when I raised the five months of no payment, encountered such hostility that I went to the CMS to avoid having to communicate with them about money any further. But now, even though we are using the CMS, I'm worried that claiming the full amount will make life unpleasant again - it has been a horrible year and they have a huge capacity to upset my equilibrium!

everythingis Thu 09-Feb-17 17:15:34

Claim full amount!

ZombieApocalips Thu 09-Feb-17 20:46:23

CMS amount is the minimum amount that non-resident parents should pay. You should claim the full amount for your son's sake.

Bythebeach Mon 13-Feb-17 02:15:12

You are probably right but I haven't
and have just let it go in the interest of peace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now