Talk

Advanced search

Am I overreacting ? Sleeping in

(10 Posts)
user1484218802 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:14:40

Just hoping for a bit of general advice here, I recently started dating a single mother a couple of months ago.

Over the past few months there's been two occasions where she's slept in and wasn't able to take her son to school on time.

On the second occasion, I had a bit of rant at her saying she can't be doing that and called out of anger I told her not to be lazy.

I will understand if she slept in because she was on a night shift at work but she's out of a job and struggling to find one ( I think she's not searching hard enough to find one)

On the other hand am not a single mother and I don't know what it takes to be one, I know it isn't easy but is it a good enough excuse to sleep in and miss the early start for school run which is just a 10 mins walk away ?

SnipSnipMrBurgess Thu 12-Jan-17 11:16:27

Jesus Christ.

Fuck off, will you?

ItsNachoCheese Thu 12-Jan-17 11:18:02

Im a single mum and there has been times ive slept in for early appointments as my ds has had a bad night. Its tough being on my own as i cant say to a partner can you deal with ds tonight. I have to do it on my own. Yabu to of called her lazy though and she may be struggling to find a job as a single parent, saying you dont think shes looking hard enough makes you sound like a dick. Perhaps if you were to live a day as a single parent you would see what its like

user1484218802 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:43:13

Reason why I said she was trying had enough was I sent her two job roles, which I could have pulled a favour to get an interview and failed to apply for both of them

Also she was over two hours late to the school, not talking 10-15 minutes late.

OopsDearyMe Sun 05-Feb-17 03:05:12

Did she say why she wasn't interested in the jobs? Maybe they were unworkable for her in some ways? As a single parents you have a lot more considerations when choosing work, childcare? Hours? Rate of pay? Are they OK with her taking days of for sick child? Etc or maybe she has been lacking the confidence and you handing her a job may just make her think that even you don't think she can do it on her own!

user1484226561 Sun 05-Feb-17 03:12:37

sleeping in like that is totally irresponsible. Absolutely no excuse for it.

Broken11Girl Sun 05-Feb-17 04:03:05

Oh FGS.
How do you help her? hmm
You sound very judgemental.

SoulSista85 Mon 20-Feb-17 00:28:41

What Broken11Girl said.

You appear to have time to bitch about her on here but while you're busy having the cake and eating it, has it not once dawned on you to help her out?

SoulSista85 Mon 20-Feb-17 00:31:35

And regarding your "help" with jobs, she's a single Mum.

What that means is that she has virtually/absolutely no help from the other parent and the whole concept of embarking and juggling a career around her existing responsibilities is nowhere as easy as you seem to think it is.

avamiah Mon 20-Feb-17 00:31:51

Why is this thread still going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now