Talk

Advanced search

Child maintenance and housing benefit

(5 Posts)
happyfeet1 Tue 10-Jan-17 13:27:21

Hi, I've just started to receive child maintenance from my ex after being chased for it for many years!

I called tax credits and they don't take it into account. I called housing benefit and they do take it into account.
If they are the rules, then they are the rules, but upon Googling it the Citizens Advice website and a few others say it shouldn't be taken into account for housing benefit.

Does anyone know what the correct position is?

EggnogChai Tue 10-Jan-17 13:33:11

Sounds like you got unhelpful advise, I'm a housing benefit assessor and it is technically taken into account BUT it is then disregarded from your for your total weekly income.

So when you get your revised hb notification it'll look like this for example:

Earnings: £50
Child Benefit: £20
Child maintenance: £20

Total disregarded: £40
Total income: £50

Hope that helps

happyfeet1 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:00:42

Thank you Eggnogchai smile

Before I read your reply I was just telling my sister about it on the phone and she told me that her friend is on income support and lives with her mum who is on a disability benefit, and they didn't pay any rent, but then when my sister's friend started to receive child maintenance they apparently had to start paying rent.

Could the rules differ per council?

EggnogChai Tue 10-Jan-17 14:19:07

No it doesn't differ between councils as the disregards are in hb regulations. Income support is a passported benefit so no other income for that person is taken into account, so I imagine something else must have changed to make her hb award be reduced.

happyfeet1 Tue 10-Jan-17 14:34:06

Thanks again Eggnogchai that extra little bit of income will be a big help right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now