Advanced search

council, please advice.

(12 Posts)
user1483138510 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:08:37

Hi, i know this is probably not the best place to put this thread, but i am hoping some other lone parents may have some information i need about council housing etc.
i am a single mum and live with my own mum, council housing. Recently it had become almost unbearable to live together as we do not see eye to eye about how a household should be run. My mum has other children so of course classes her home as all her childrens home, but when my brothers come around and treat the house like a dose house i try to put my foot down, i have a little baby here and i personally believe i have a right to say what happens as i pay 50% of the bills.
One of my sister in laws brings my nieces over and lets them run absolutely wild, theres chocolate all over our cream carpet, which may i add i just paid for. They stay up till all hours in the night which results in my lb not getting to bed on his schedule and then waking him early in the morning. Also when they stay he never ever wakes with the kids just excepts me to deals with my three nieces and lb until whenever she wakes up.
I've tried untold amount of times to explain how im feeling but all i get in return is "this is my house and my kids are always welcome". Also me and my mum moved into this house together when i was pregnant under the agreement that it was 50/50 bills, rules etc. Now im living in a house which constantly brings me down. Do you think i can receive any help from the council with housing? OR do you think i will have to go into a hostel?

Manumission Fri 30-Dec-16 23:11:06

Have you tried applying for the housing list? Or reading the priority criteria?

Is your mum's place overcrowded? Or is it just the three of you living there day to day?

Hellmouth Fri 30-Dec-16 23:11:53

I don't know if anyone can answer your question, councils have their own checklist for housing and being a single mother doesn't guarantee anything. There is a shortage of housing so the only way they can help you might be with a hostel.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 30-Dec-16 23:13:51

Who's name is the house in?

user1483138510 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:25:24

The house isn't over crowded its just us three, and the house is in my mums name. I'm stuck in catch 22, because no matter what i say nothing will change here, i even spent christmas day with my lb in his room with all his toys because all the family was around and i couldnt bear to see what mess they were causing, and if i do move my mum who is elderly will have to move i presume. I guess im just going to have to stick it out, a lesson learnt to late.

user1483138510 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:26:41

i fit into the housing criteria, only because of my little man and n o i havent applied for the housing list yet as i didnt know whether it would be worth it,

Manumission Fri 30-Dec-16 23:28:14

Why will she have to move if you move? Bedroom tax/expense?

What was the Christmas Day mess that was so unbearable? Wrapping paper and clutter? Or something else?

Manumission Fri 30-Dec-16 23:31:00

It won't hurt to apply.

It might be that you have a very long wait but you might as well at least apply ASAP. You can always withdraw later if you want.

Being on the list could help you access advice and other low-cost housing schemes.

It's probably a good idea to investigate all options for independence before your family relationships are damaged.

OurMiracle1106 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:31:42

Although you may fit into the housing criteria. You have a place to live so the council will not find you a hostel and even if you did you would be treated as intentionally homeless as you have left a property that you could reasonably be expected to reside in.

You could go on the list but the chances of getting anywhere fast is very very slim indeed

jumbledmind Fri 30-Dec-16 23:40:33


We are very lucky to live in a three bedroom property, and my mum is partially disabled so she would definitely not be able to afford staying here.
No, i realise how that must look about the christmas comment, but with four other young children round in one room, untold amount of toys were broken were the toys were flung about and no one bothered to pick them up once the children were done with them, mud was ran through the house all on the carpets. etc etc

penguin1245 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:48:54

I would definitely apply seems like you an your little one would much rather your own place

MissRosie21 Mon 02-Jan-17 14:07:31

I think you should go to your local council and put yourself on the list, but say you and your mum aren't getting along and cannot live together anymore, she will probably need to downsize and you will probably need to go into temp accom. I've lived in travelodges for 7 weeks till I was housed it really wasn't that bad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now