Child maintenance and redundancy question

(6 Posts)
Pollyanna9 Sat 26-Nov-16 12:59:19

Well, XH has done it again (been made redundant that is). I suspect he's known for quite some time and if it's anything like the last time he's had ample opportunity to get out and find something else but has, as he always does, put his head in the sand thinking he wouldn't be one of the ones picked. He actually made some vague comment like that weeks ago but was very confident it wouldn't be him in the firing line... Well, he has been picked so that's bad for him and very bad for me and my two DC.

He's just reduced his December payment by the appropriate amount for the fact he will now only be paid to 8 December. He's just told me today. Is it likely he would only have been told (say in the last 24 hours) that he's being made redundant and he's then leaving just 12 days after being informed???

He's been there less than 2 years - would he get redundancy?

If he did get a redundancy payment, would my two children with him be entitled to a proportion of that which will help us keep going (I'm most interested in what the ruling would be from when CSA did it as have based our private child maintenance agreement on their rules)?

I wouldn't mind but on the strong inkling that he's known for quite some weeks, it's daft when you hear he and his missus have been doing up their conservatory with expensive wood effect floor tiles and that he's bought a new motorbike in recent months! Once again having learnt nothing from the previous time he was out of work he's not set a single penny aside for his first two children just in case he ever found himself out of work. Clearly there was spare capacity to do that but it got spent on other things.

We've been asking him to respond to DDs Xmas pressie list since 28 October - I think it becomes clear that he's known about this for a lot longer than the last 24 hours - thanks for the heads-up mate!

Well, DD has a school trip to colder climes early next year. I had just done my budget for December and put in an amount for clothing for that - that'll be coming off the planned expenditure and goodness knows if I'll be able to afford it but we'll just have to see. Just when you think ok we're just about managing ok eh....

Be grateful if anyone knows anything about the monetary/redundancy side of this, thanks.

LIZS Sat 26-Nov-16 13:11:33

Any payment would be very small , like 2 weeks( maybe slightly more if over 40) plus notice. If they are paying in lieu of notice then yes he could only have a week or two before his last day. No idea how that works for cms though.

Aldi skiwear is in store tomorrow, you can kit a child out with ski jacket, snow trousers and gloves easily for under £25. Plus they do base layers etc. Or look on eBay.

Pollyanna9 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:30:10

Thanks for the aldi tip I'll check that out. Brilliant.

m0therofdragons Sat 26-Nov-16 13:37:08

Under 2 years they don't have to and he would have been under a 4 week consultation period (presumably that's what he mentioned assuming he'd be safe) but after that it can be pretty quick.

Pollyanna9 Sat 26-Nov-16 13:58:38

Cheers.

bluelilies Tue 29-Nov-16 15:28:20

If you've been there less than 2 years you don't usually get any redundancy pay, and it's also not counted by CMS I don't think anyway. He should have received whatever notice he was due - a month for a lot of jobs, but could have been less. Assuming he signs on, there's a small amount (£6 a week I think) he should go on paying you out of benefits. Crap timing just before Christmas sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now