We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Telling new partner you have a kid

(12 Posts)
chocsandtwirls Thu 24-Nov-16 05:41:24

I'm not with anyone atm but just curious to know so I know for the future. When did you tell your new partner about having a kid? Straight away? A few dates? Months? In my mind I'm worried that I'll find it hard to find love. But I know if they wouldn't be able to accept my beautiful son then they aren't for us.

Hamiltoes Thu 24-Nov-16 05:53:11

Straight away. I'd rather get it out in the open.

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Thu 24-Nov-16 06:01:30

Presumably when you're doing the 'getting to know you' bit right from the beginning you'd tell them. I certainly did (couldn't shut up about her actually blush)

There's absolutely no point in leaving out critical information like that.

PoldarksBreeches Thu 24-Nov-16 06:11:10

Before I meet anyone. It's on my tinder bio.

SomeonesRealName Thu 24-Nov-16 06:15:39

Right at the start silly.

SomeonesRealName Thu 24-Nov-16 06:20:28

Also don't think your child is a negative against you. DP has gained so much from being part of my LOs life. Before he met us, he lived on his own and now he has a family and a delightful child to interact with who loves him.

GreenAndWinter Thu 24-Nov-16 06:30:52

Straight away.

I've started seeing somebody who made it clear from day one that he understood I come as part of a package. He takes time to be friendly with the children, and takes us all on family day trips. I'm so happy about the kindness he shows to my children, and I'm also very aware that anything less wouldn't be fair on them.

The right man will understand - and talking about the children early on can help to weed out the wrong men.

user1473756940 Thu 24-Nov-16 09:18:12

Straight away. As far as I am concerned my daughter is my life, so when I talk about myself or if someone was trying to get to know me she would come up very quickly. And to not bring her up would be concealing it or being secretive implying its something to be ashamed of.

Also, it is fairer on the other party, everyone has a right to their preferences, and some may not be interested in someone who already has children. So saves wasting time for both sides when its not going to work out.

Good luck smile

chocsandtwirls Thu 24-Nov-16 17:26:40

Thanks ladies I've just never done this before. I would obviously tell them just didn't know if it was right away like "hi I'm ..... and I have a son" or just wait a couple dates/few chats. But prob best to be honest from the get on

honkawonka Thu 24-Nov-16 17:27:32

Same as poldarks , it was on my tinder bio

AllTheBabies Thu 24-Nov-16 17:29:30

Straight away. Them "have you have a good day?" Me "yeah, I took my daughter to the park". Or something like that anyway. She obviously came up very easily in conversation because she was/is the main focus of my life.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 24-Nov-16 20:09:51

Like others it was on my tinder bio, I am in my forties and so whether they wanted children was an early discussion too. Fortunately I meet someone who sees us as package and whilst he feels he is now too old to have own children ( I don't want any more), he did want children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now