Advanced search

Becoming a single mum, what to do with my son while I'm at work?

(5 Posts)
clumsyduck Wed 09-Nov-16 21:09:28

Have you applied for tax credits ? They'll take into account nursery fees as a pp said . Also isn't the new 30 free hours childcare coming in this year? I forget the details but google it op

megletthesecond Wed 09-Nov-16 21:08:26

Depending on how much you earn you can receive up to 70% of your childcare costs back through tax credits. It still means you have to stump up 30% plus, which isn't cheap sad, but it's how I did it.

Squeegle Wed 09-Nov-16 21:06:52

Will your ex not still have him? If not then you will have to find a nursery or childminder. It is expensive but you may get some benefits depending on your income :-)

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 09-Nov-16 21:06:10

You pay for childcare and inform tax credits of the cost, unless you are earning above the threshold you should be entitled to help for up to 70% of your childcare costs.

user1478724427 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:04:13

Hi all, I'm new to mums met and any advice would be really appreciated. I have a 16 month old and I was sticking it out with his dad to try and make the family work but it became unbearable living with his father.

So I've just become a single mum who works full time (he was looked after by his dad during the day up until now) and child care seems so expensive I just don't know how I'm going to afford it!

I don't have any close family and my friends all work themselves so I don't have any support. His father refuses to work so no child support from him. It's all really daunting!

If anyone can tell me how you cope as a single parent and what to do with your toddler while you work it would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading. smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in