Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Becoming a single mum, what to do with my son while I'm at work?

(5 Posts)
user1478724427 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:04:13

Hi all, I'm new to mums met and any advice would be really appreciated. I have a 16 month old and I was sticking it out with his dad to try and make the family work but it became unbearable living with his father.

So I've just become a single mum who works full time (he was looked after by his dad during the day up until now) and child care seems so expensive I just don't know how I'm going to afford it!

I don't have any close family and my friends all work themselves so I don't have any support. His father refuses to work so no child support from him. It's all really daunting!

If anyone can tell me how you cope as a single parent and what to do with your toddler while you work it would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading. smile

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 09-Nov-16 21:06:10

You pay for childcare and inform tax credits of the cost, unless you are earning above the threshold you should be entitled to help for up to 70% of your childcare costs.

Squeegle Wed 09-Nov-16 21:06:52

Will your ex not still have him? If not then you will have to find a nursery or childminder. It is expensive but you may get some benefits depending on your income :-)

megletthesecond Wed 09-Nov-16 21:08:26

Depending on how much you earn you can receive up to 70% of your childcare costs back through tax credits. It still means you have to stump up 30% plus, which isn't cheap sad, but it's how I did it.

clumsyduck Wed 09-Nov-16 21:09:28

Have you applied for tax credits ? They'll take into account nursery fees as a pp said . Also isn't the new 30 free hours childcare coming in this year? I forget the details but google it op

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now