Talk

Advanced search

What am I supposed to do?

(12 Posts)
user1472582572 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:28:57

I have a lot of people telling me things I should be doing, but no one constructively giving any viable credible solutions to problems. DS is 9 months old and can crawl, stand and make a few steps holding onto something. He's too big for the sling and tries wriggling out of it. He'll soon be too big for the activity centre he has which he can stand in. He's outgrown baby bouncers. So how on earth am I supposed to get anything done? I've been told not to let him watch anything on the tablet or tv, but I'm a single mother with no support. If I need to do some cleaning or cooking, there's no one else to come and help- I need to get everything done myself. DS is a very alert and attentive baby- his permanent state from birth has been separation anxiety so putting him in the travel cot with a few toys isn't enough to keep him distracted while I try and do chores. He barely naps during the day and when he does nap it's only for 30 mins at the most. Can anyone help?

mymilkshakes00 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:41:31

When he naps don't clean. You should rest while he's asleep.
When he's up then you can maybe use a baby sling so your arms are free to get some things done. Otherwise pop him in his play pen put some CBeebies on and do your work. A little tv won't hurt your child.

UmbongoUnchained Tue 18-Oct-16 23:44:26

I became a single mum when my daughter was 9 months. Getting a connecta carrier and slinging her on my back was the best thing I ever did. She napped on my back while I was handsfree to get everything done. Would take me an hour in the morning then the whole day was free to spend with her.

user1472582572 Wed 19-Oct-16 09:56:11

I have a Liberty Sling but he's so heavy now and he wriggles around too much that I can't use it and get on with stuff. How much is a connecta carrier? I've looked them up and they seem quite expensive and I barely get by as it is.

Mamalicious16 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:26:39

Get a jumperoo DD loved hers and I got a good price for it when I sold it on too

graphista Fri 21-Oct-16 21:04:40

I was still with my ex when my daughter was this age but he didn't help much! I used her travel cot like a playpen when I needed to get something done. Just pop it where you can see her and do things in bursts of maybe 15 mins? What time does she go down at night? It does get easier.

JenLindleyShitMom Fri 21-Oct-16 21:11:39

Strap him into buggy or high chair. Get a playpen/travel cot. Who told you not to let him watch TV or tablet? confused 10 minutes will do him no harm.

JenLindleyShitMom Fri 21-Oct-16 21:13:22

What are the thing saying people are telling you you should be doing and what people? Are you struggling with housework?

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 21-Oct-16 21:29:35

I'm not a single mum but have a toddler and 8 month old who won't sleep/be put down and Dp regularly works from 5:30 until 9/10 at night.
Definitely lower your standards. I've had to. Put baby in highchair with some toys on tray in view of you. Tv is fine if not for long periods. Keep leaving in play pen for short periods so he can get used to it?

Ilovecharliecat Fri 21-Oct-16 22:23:23

I used a travel cot as a play pen for my 2 DS, DS1 would love a few toys and I'd put a video pub the TV (yes it was that long ago👍) he's always been a telly addict but it's not done him any harm he's just started uni after gaining brilliant GCSE and A level grades, DS2 however was completely different, he could climb out of it by about 18 months, however he was surrounded by DS1 and his friends, he thought he was the same age. A play pen, toys and bit bit of kids to will do no harm. Please don't stress yourself

Ilovecharliecat Fri 21-Oct-16 22:24:01

Sorry last sentence should read kids TV

Starlight2345 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:25:35

yes another vote for a jumperoo.. Door bouncers... high chair toys.

My Ds had separation anxiety I had a surestart worker to help although may not be an option now with reduced funding.

Other thing I found , slow cooker fantastically helpful. I also found at night when DS went to sleep..Once he was properly asleep I had an hour to do anything before it would disturb him ..I hoovered. He cried at the sound of the hoover, drilled and banged nails in that time..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now