Advanced search

What benefits can I claim if I resign?

(14 Posts)
hungryhippo33 Sat 01-Oct-16 16:11:43

I recently started a new job and I am expected to do enormous amounts of overtime. I have complained to the firm several times but I don't see it improving.

As I understand it, if I resign then I won't be entitled to unemployment benefit? I think the situation might be different if I claim constructive dismissal but I would prefer to go down that route.

What about other benefits? I am fortunate enough to own my own place (but there are no spare rooms to rent out) and so housing benefit is out but any other benefits I could claim?

I don't have any savings. I get some child maintenance from my ex but that may stop as well with his work circumstances.

The hours are so bad that I don't feel I have any choice other than to resign and sooner rather than later. I think it will take some months to get another job, and so expect to be out of work for a while.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 16:17:08

If you child is under five than you can claim IS.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 16:17:19


AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 16:18:25

You can claim tax credits and child benefit approx £75 a week whatever age your child is.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 16:19:12

You can of course claim tax credits for child and child benefit, whatever the age of your child. Approx £75 a week.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 01-Oct-16 16:19:29

Sorry phone!

hungryhippo33 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:02:10

Thanks. Child is older than 5.

How does tax credits work. Isn't that some reduction in your tax liability, but if I am not earning anything how would that work?

SunnyInMay Sat 01-Oct-16 18:05:36

The title 'tax' credits is misleading. It's just another benefit that is paid directly into your bank account. No you don't have to be working to claim it.

LIZS Sat 01-Oct-16 18:08:06

If you've joined within 2 years you'd struggle with any dismissal claim unless on protected grounds like discrimination. It is likely a new claim would fall under Universal Credit so while you may get something it won't include JSA or Housing benefit. Tax credits are payments made according to income/savings, childcare costs and hours worked . As a LP you'd need to work minimum of 16 hours to qualify for Working tax credits.

hungryhippo33 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:28:38

Ex is on more than 60k and so don't think I am entitled to child benefit or tax credits?

If I can't cover my outgoings and there is no way of cutting the outgoings (e.g. utilities, council tax, basic food) what happens then?

LIZS Sat 01-Oct-16 18:31:15

Does ex still live with you? If not and you claim CB / TC it is based on your income alone.

hungryhippo33 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:38:14

Actually because ex and I are separated then presumably he doesn't qualify as my partner anymore and so I would be entitled to child benefit?

hungryhippo33 Sat 01-Oct-16 19:49:22

no ex i don't live together. very clearly separated, so hopefully that will mean I am entitled to child benefits and TC.

Thanks for reminding me if I haven't been at the firm for 2 years I wouldn't have a claim against the firm. I don't really want to go down that route as I think it would impact my ability to get the next role but at the same time it does seem very unfair!

Fourormore Sat 01-Oct-16 20:20:36

What would happen if you just refused to do the overtime?
Would you be better off refusing to do it and having them end your employment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now