Talk

Advanced search

how do you do it!

(11 Posts)
Amaya123 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:59:19

Hello, I currently work full time and I'm hoping to cut my hours.. can anyone help or advise on this. How do you do it as a single parent?

LineyReborn Mon 26-Sep-16 15:00:37

Do what? Can you be a little more specific? I'll try and help if I can.

Assam Mon 26-Sep-16 15:01:01

I have 4 jobs! Well 4 sources of income.
It's mental but you just get your head down & do it. Last thing I want is less time with my kids I don't want to miss them growing up so I make sure I'm there after school. I love that time with them

Amaya123 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:09:20

I have a 2 year old I do only have the one job full time and very lucky that if i can't find child care I can swap the days! However with his dad only being able to have him once every two weeks my only other option is full time childcare which is unaffordable.. I have rent to pay, child care, fuel and food.. how do you all make ends meet!! I would happily work evenings, weekends, or whenever but my parents are only happy to have him once a week too so its not always an option!! is it possible to work fewer hours? am i dreaming?

Assam Mon 26-Sep-16 15:18:04

Well I don't work out the house all the time - think about income you can make from home. I'm a bookkeeper and do maybe 1-2 hours per day (£50) early morning cleaning ( they go to breakfast club) ironing (£20 per box) and copyrighting (from an office)

LineyReborn Mon 26-Sep-16 15:52:08

When ExH first left, unexpectedly, I managed somehow on 30 hours a week plus childcare tax credits and other tax credits. I fought hard for child support, too. And there was child benefit, of course.

My children were only 3 and 5. It was hard.

grounddown Mon 26-Sep-16 16:19:46

I work 16 hours, I receive tax credits and child maintenance but we live simply and don't spend money frivolously. I found that I would be slightly better off working more hours but would be stuck for childcare in the holidays. The DC dad has them one weekend per month and my parents don't offer any help that doesn't involve me being there so it's a necessity for me.

KarmaNoMore Wed 28-Sep-16 00:40:29

You just do it, it takes a bit of practice but you manage.

The only thing I could say is do not leave your job, they only need expensive childcare for a couple of years, and you should get some help to cover childcare costs via working taxcredits. If you stop working, you go into income support and then it will be more difficult to find a good job as soon as your child is in school and you start to be pestered by the job centre to get at least a part time position (if you don't like what they offer you, they can cut your benefits).

1DAD2KIDS Fri 30-Sep-16 20:25:42

Obviously I have no idea about your finances. But have a look, could you make some spending cuts? Are you just about putting a roof over your head or have you got things you could cut and live off less. You maybe better working part time for a bit. After all if child care is more than your earning it would be a false economy anyway when you could be spending more time with the kids instead.

Rachelly123 Fri 30-Sep-16 22:10:16

I was in the same boat two years ago. Working 50 hours a week , dd was just one and her dad only had her Saturday daytime. I claimed tax credits. Which covered around half of my childcare costs and made major cut backs. I only shop in aldi, I shop around for everything and eBay is my best friend! I spent an entire day working through my finances, changing my energy suppliers, car insurance etc and only went shopping with a list! You can do it.smile

1DAD2KIDS Fri 30-Sep-16 22:44:47

The quality at Aldi is good (why pay more) and being thrifty is great. The world still keeps ticking. And one day as the kids get older and you earn more again if you stay with thrift you'll find some spare cash too. You could use for treats or top up your pension pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now