Talk

Advanced search

Single Mum work Vs Study

(7 Posts)
Kimorsweetcheek Sun 04-Sep-16 15:35:27

Hi there,

I'm a single Mum and work full time as an independent gender violence advocate working with high risk clients. Tbh I'm finding the commute and my work environment quiet stressful. I have been looking at jobs closer to home, and was short listed for one but didn't get it, and so far I haven't found anything else.

I'm now at a point where I'm having anxiety about returning to my job having been on hols and I'm contemplating looking into other options. Are there any Mums or Dads studying part time (university level) and working full time or who have left working full time to study full time? If so how do you juggle finances, child(ten), home and house keeping? Also if you have any places to look for funding that may also be useful...

Also just wondering if I should just keep working and try to keep a level of stability for my LO as the majority of my family members are not in support of me studying.

chocolatespiders Sun 04-Sep-16 15:41:13

How old are your children?
I am single mum and work 36 hours a week. I have just done an access course and found it difficult to fit in the home study at weekends. I haven't applied for uni like other people on the course as I am worried about leaving a band 4 NHS job and not managing on the course and then I may struggle to get another band 4 job as they don't come up very often.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 04-Sep-16 22:42:59

IT is possible you gave to be super disciplined and organised. I work full time ( long hours 24/7 role), I own and run the business that I work in, I have a 12 year old and I am in the last 16 weeks of a post graduate certificate ( distance learning with University of Liverpool). I have been studying for just under two years, I would admit it has been tough and the next twelve weeks will be the toughest yet 1,500 word assignment every two weeks for 10 weeks, then 7,500 due 6 weeks later.
I have a cleaner, but I also manage to attend choir once a week ( I would go insane) and do other stuff. I break every day down into blocks including making time to see friends, at weekends I set targets ( I am not joking necessary to get washing etc done), I break things like ironing into 20 min sessions.

Kimorsweetcheek Sun 04-Sep-16 23:49:24

Hi,

My son is 5 and naturally he is demanding however I am pretty organised and I studied 10 years ago at undergraduate level. I will need to resist Maths as I didn't get a 'C' at GCSE level and this is something I struggle with so I am trying to get myself motivated to do that first.
I have little family support, however I do have a great childminder so I guess if I do enrol I will definitely need to rely on her for help with my son as well as time for me to do other stuff to keep my sanity...

Thanks for giving me this insight though, at least I know it can be done. All the best with what lies aheadsmile

pleasetryanother1 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:31:57

I gave up my ft job to study full time when my DS was 18mths. Did a 3 yr BA graduated with a first (very proud) I have no family nearby and relied on nursery. Family helped out when I had exams and dissertation- he would go stay for a few days etc. Ds dad is not around. Financially we were ok, I only worked in the summer. Had a childcare grant, student loans etc.

Best thing I ever did. smile

Kimorsweetcheek Fri 09-Sep-16 05:56:53

Very inspiring, what did you study? I have also looked in to open degrees, I just need to take a leap of faith...

pleasetryanother1 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:53:42

I studied business - what are you wanting to study? I think things like nursing and Physio are more demanding as you have placements etc. I managed and wish I could go back!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now